This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Changing the nameserver on my website transferred TO Bravenet

When I try to preview my website all I get is this message from the IP:

"Unable to connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at thither.co.uk."

(thither.co.uk is my domain name.)

So I went to Bravhost.com > Domains > External Domains: thither.co.uk > And then the next page says this, "In order to activate your domain with your Bravenet hosting account you will need to change your domain nameservers to the following: ns3.bravehost.com, ns4.bravehost.com"

So I click on "Manage DNS." But there is no option to change my nameservers.

I then browsed Bravenet's FAQ section on hosting and found how to change nameservers. But, after going back to the "Domains" tab to edit my domains, I discovered, after looking more closely, that Bravenet's instructions look like they only apply to non-external domains. Mine is an external domain and there is no option to edit "nameservers," only "DNS." (Which seem like they should be the same thing, but, apparently here they're different.)

I would try to access my former host (which was freewebstore.org), but I've already closed that account, so I can no longer log in to change any information (like the nameservers).

My question is, how do I change the nameservers on my external site that's been transferred to Bravenet?

Thank you!!

Browser: Firefox

Re: Changing the nameserver on my website transferred TO Bravenet

Anna
I then browsed Bravenet's FAQ section on hosting and found how to change nameservers. But, after going back to the "Domains" tab to edit my domains, I discovered, after looking more closely, that Bravenet's instructions look like they only apply to non-external domains.

That is correct. Bravenet can not manage domains that are registered with and external registrar. To change the Primary and Secondary Domain Names, you need to log into the registrar where you registered your domain name. That should give you the ability to modify how your domain name acts.

Anna
My question is, how do I change the nameservers on my external site that's been transferred to Bravenet?

I did a WhoIs Search on your domain name. According to that search, that URL is not registered with Bravenet and there is no indication that there is a transfer in progress. You may have started the transfer of the domain name from the Bravenet end, but unless your set up the transfer from the domain registrar, no transfer will take place. The WhoIs says the domain is registered at Apex Hosting Limited. Right now your Name servers appear to be "parked". It doesn't look like it's been updated in a while (16-Nov-2009).

You may want to contact Apex Hosting Limited and obtain your login information. Then you can choose to leave the domain name where it is, or transfer it. Having a domain name managed separately from your hosting, has it's advantages. If you decide to move your hosting, all you need to do is move all your files and change your Name servers. You don't have to bother with moving your domain name as well.

Once you change the Name servers, it won't work right away. Sometimes it pretty quick, but it can take 24 to 72 hours, before all the DNS sites request updates for their domain maps.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....