This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
edit "visual", graphics won't display. text only

I'm trying to do a new layout for my website, www.breatheeasydecor.com. I see it when I go to the website, but when I open the file manager and click index.html and try to open it with the visual editor, only the text shows up.

I've done this before and worked with the website wizard. I clicked on "use template" directly from the site and everything went fine this time! Basically I just need to know how to see the graphics under visual editor when they show up when you go to the site. Ideas? THANKS!!

Browser: Internet Explorer

Re: edit "visual", graphics won't display. text only

When I go to your web site, all I see is the text as well. A quick look at your code says that the style sheet and all of the images are missing. The template should have come with a folder named "images708". This folder should be in your website's root directory with your "index.html". Inside the "images708" folder should be all of the images for your template plus a style sheet named "style.css".

Check to make sure the name of the folder is correct. The reference to the folder and the style sheet is in the first couple of lines in the HTML code. It must match the name in the HTML code, exactly. If you don't have that folder, you can download a new copy to your PC and than unzip the download. You can then upload the folder and it's contents to your web site.

While that is the most common problem, in this case, it isn't the complete answer. I tried downloading the same template to one of my Bravenet web sites (Test Template) and then tried to view it in the Visual editor. Like you originally wrote, I can see the template just fine when I connect to it via the internet. But when I use the Visual editor, all I see is text. I have checked file names, directory/file permissions, and anything else I could think of, but nothing seemed to allow the Visual editor to read from a folder. It won't read the style sheet or access any of the images.

The Visual editor has always had a problem with saving changes. Because the "DOCTYPE" tag is not strictly a HTML tag, the Visual editor will delete it, when you save your changes. The removal of this element can cause the web pages to look a little strange. Of course, you can put it back in with the Text editor, but it's still pretty annoying, and Bravenet should have fixed this a very long time ago.

But I went further and opened the template's HTML file in the Visual editor, made a small change, and then saved my work. As usual, the "DOCTYPE" tag was deleted but something else strange happened. All of the image tags and link references were changed. This link, Test Template after Save, is what it looks like after saving with the Visual editor. Instead of the link to the style sheet looking like the following:

Code:
<link href="images708/style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

This is what it changed it to. It did the same thing to all of the image tags.

Code:
<link href="http:///images708/style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

This means that this is a Bravenet issue and it's time for a trouble ticket. Maybe Bravenet was finally trying to fix the other issue with the Visual editor, and broke it further.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....