This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
FTP server down?

Is anyone not able to get into their documents when they click on "edit". For example: For index.html, I clicked on "Edit with Text" and it says FTP server is down. (Server has not passed) What does this mean and is anyone else getting this?

Re: FTP server down?

surreal
Is anyone not able to get into their documents when they click on "edit". For example: For index.html, I clicked on "Edit with Text" and it says FTP server is down. (Server has not passed) What does this mean and is anyone else getting this?

No problems here

did your issue solve? I have the same issue, and yet no solution.

try a 3rd party ftp program

have always had issues with ftp applet here at bravenet

Use filezilla or some other ftp program and make sure parameters are set properly

Seems like no ftp today. I have three accounts on Bravenet... I am unable to login to one of the accounts using FileZilla... other two accounts are OK. I've taken out a trouble ticket and await a reply. Will update all when solved.

Browser: IE8

Hi All,
This was the reply from Bravenet... I have resolved my problem.

Bravenet:
It appears that your account was compromised, most likely due to automated malware that gained access to your FTP login details. Our hosting department detected the attack, as many compromised accounts were attacked at once. We deleted your FTP account to prevent further access and removed the malicious files.

For the greatest security possible, we urge you to change your Bravenet account password, change the password for the email address used for this account, as well as perform a full virus scan on your computer and any other computer that has, or will have, FTP or account access.

If you create another FTP account, be sure that this uses all new details and the password does not match your account password.

When connecting via FTP, we suggest using SFTP. We now support this but have not yet announced the update publicly. You can read about SFTP here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSH_file_transfer_protocol

This is a secure alternative to ftp that keeps usernames and passwords from being transmitted in plain text and easily stolen by malware and other 3rd parties.

One way to try this is using FileZilla (free download from filezilla-project.org). Simply pick 'SSH file transfer protocol' as the server type in the drop down - same ftp hostname, username and password as before. It will prompt you with our public key, accept it and you're in. It will functionally the same, though possibly a touch slower due to the encryption overhead.

For other FTP clients, we suggest referring to the program help documentation.

Hope this takes the mystery away from why some of your ftp accounts have disappeared.
Lumberworker

Browser: IE8