This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Unauthorised downloading

How can I stop people downing loading content (Files) from my sites (freebie) please.

Re: Unauthorised downloading

Don't upload them in the first place.

Sorry but that really is the only answer.

I have to upload them for Members to see the Progress and League results but I don't like people printing them off to stick up in club houses, it cuts down the hits to the sites.

Fiddle with the format so that it doesn't fit a single sheet of paper.

I could go into a long and boring technical spiel but basically everything on the web works through downloading.

I can listen

Before we go into the how part, let us think again about why?.

You don't like people printing things out to stick up in club houses, because you get fewer hits.

For one thing, I doubt that is true. Well, nowadays people may whip out a PDA to check the data, but mostly they will stick things up where internet isn't an option.

Is this about advertising? Or does your site mainly aim to be useful?

My suggestion would be instead to make the material as printerfriendly as possible, but perhaps add some messages about what a great site you have and what else is available on it.

There are plenty of sites out there which are hard to print, but most of us consider them broken, and look for alternative sites that work.

Point taken.
If you have looked at the site (1 of 6) then you will see that it is for weekly Crown Green Bowling Results etc.
So perhaps you are right in what you say.
Thanks.

Have you looked into rewriting your htaccess file? I have eliminated a lot of hotlinking on some of my sites by working through the htaccess. You can even substitute a different image to hotlinkers that will make them sorry they ever stole your bandwidth.

Browser: Firefox

Browser: Firefox

Its so easy to take information from websites this may not even be worth mentioning. Like its been said before, if you do not want it taken do not put it online. At any length......

This is by no means a sure thing and some browsers ignore it all together, but if you place this in between your head tags it will print an alternate document of your choosing. Like something that says "No Printing" or something to that effect. Just change the href to point to an alternative document.

Cheers LV it now prints 404 File Not Found