This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Blocking an IP address

Is there a way to block an IP address from accessing a Bravenet website? I have found where it is possible in what appears to be a Linux enviroment with a .htaccess file, but I am running windows and using frontpage 2003 for my website, and they will not accept that type of a filename. Thank you.

Browser: IE 8

Re: Blocking an IP address

IP blocking is very unreliable as most PCs do not connect through a fixed IP address but have one allocated from a pool by their ISP when they do connect.

The odds are that if you block an IP you will be blocking a random customer of that ISP. There have been cases of Bravenet customers blocking themselves when they try to block another customer of their own ISP.

While blocking will affect all services on the account, including hosting, the utility is normally only available through the forum and guestbook services. Register the free version of one of these (there is no obligation to use it) and just follow the instructions.

I realize that, but in this case, I am lucky in that the same IP has been used for the past 3 months

Peter

While blocking will affect all services on the account, including hosting, the utility is normally only available through the forum and guestbook services. Register the free version of one of these (there is no obligation to use it) and just follow the instructions.

I looked at that, and I had previously "blocked" the offending I.P. address about two months ago....still had it in the Blocked I.P. Addresses in the Forum. Has not blocked the person from the site though.

You will need to take that up with Bravenet, I only repeated what they say.

Blocking only works for one account of course, if you have hosting and your forum under different Bravenet accounts then it won't work.