This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Javascript

The subject of javascript has come up twice lately. You would be amazed at what kinds of things you can do with it. To get an idea, I had a real problem reading the calculator that came with Windows so I looked for others and had no luck. I was nosing around a juavascript websites and found all kinds of stuff, including calculators. Since I was in the market for a virtual scientific calculator, I found one of those, too. The I noticed that I had space on the side. and found a large number of javascript "calculators" that I could use as subroutines like in the TI SR-5* series and created one. The it got even better and I found all kinds of things so I created the "Space Patrol Power Console". Since I don't know whether or not, if I use the "website" link, it will chage the one I put in the other day to demo the slideshow I set up, I will put thethe addy here

http://console.spacepatrol.us

YOU can highlight it, copy it and put it in your address bar

I keep one on my disk adn use it as my FireFox homepage

One of the links is dead since the site it linked was on GeoCities free which went belly-up a couple weeks ago and for which I'm looking for a replacement. Most of the Javacrip programs are on the "Math and Science Console". You will be amazed

Ome thing about javacripts, some applications work in FireFox and not IE and some only work in IE, Some are for Netscape (those usually work in Fx) The solution is to pick up an IE tab or view for Fx.

Consider this a demo of what you can find at javascript websites

BTW: hear's the link to the virtual scientific calculator I made

http://spaceocalc.spacepatrol.us/

This is also an example to some of the things yo can do an the premium Bravenet hosting

from found javascripts

Browser: FireFox 3.5

Re: Javascript

Wow!

WHO CARES!!!

So you found an online calculator

Go celebrate elsewhere

Re: Javascript

Don't pay any attention to "-----". He/she is apparently very bored.

Yes, there are some nice Javascript calculators out there and they make a very good tool for learning Javascript. Personally, I prefer the RPN calculators. I have been using HP RPN calculators for over 30 years. That's about when I stopped using my slide rule regularly. But I still keep one (actually three) handy. These days, with everyone going "Green", it's the ultimate solar calculator. All you need is a little light to see it, and the batteries never die.

Space Patroller
The subject of javascript has come up twice lately. You would be amazed at what kinds of things you can do with it.

I find that the subject of Javascript comes up all the time. Some users often think the HTML/CSS is giving them problems, when it's really poorly constructed Javascript. There is a lot of poorly constructed Javascript around. A good example is many of the Javascript utilities at DynamicDrive.com. The user submitted Javascripts seldom have correct syntax and fail in many applications.

And no, I would not be amazed at the kinds of things it can do. You need to expand beyond simple calculators to really see it's power. Try this link to a site I created named the Javascript Electronic Notebook. All of the pages, including the sidebar menu, is driven by Javascript. Feel free to view the Javascript, if you know how. But there is a lot of it.

Space Patroller
Ome thing about javacripts, some applications work in FireFox and not IE and some only work in IE, Some are for Netscape (those usually work in Fx) The solution is to pick up an IE tab or view for Fx.

This is not really true. Except for some very old browsers, Javascript is Javascript, and should work the same in all browsers. The problem is usually not the Javascript, but the HTML structures that you are talking to with your Javascript. There are some old structures like "document.all", which was introduced with IE4. But since the standard DOM method "getElementById" was introduced, it's only needed if you are intending to support IE4. Stick to the standards and you shouldn't have any problems.

I don't bother trying to support browsers that are too old. But I test all of my page designs in up to date versions of Firefox, IE, and Netscape, to make sure everything works correctly. I have had to fix the HTML many times to make things compatible, but not the Javascript.

Space Patroller
BTW: hear's the link to the virtual scientific calculator I made
http://spaceocalc.spacepatrol.us/

Unless I force certain colors in my browser (Firefox), I can not see the buttons on your calculator. They are all just black squares with no legend. The buttons work, and calculator operates, but in order for me to see the legends on the buttons, I have to change the default colors in my browser. Switching to the IE rendering engine does not make it any better.

Space Patroller
This is also an example to some of the things yo can do an the premium Bravenet hosting from found javascripts

The use of Javascript has nothing to do with Premium Hosting. Since Javascript is not a server side scripting, and works in a visitors browser, you can use it on free and paid hosting. In fact, you don't even need a hosted web site to use it. Since it runs directly in your browser, you can create web pages on your PC's hard drive and run everything locally.

The only thing that you need to be careful of on free hosting, is using variables that are common to the advertisements. But this is seldom an issue.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....