This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Can't view web site

I have recently reduced my web site to well below the alowed 5MB limit but it still wont show.
The disk usage is still high but I don't know what that is or how to reduce it.

HELP!!

Re: Can't view web site

Could it be that you have breached terms of service? I didnt attempt to go to your "website", I'm merely making an educated guess based on the name of your "site".

You only have 5mb of space to work with for your free subdomain you have here

if you have free hosting with it as well

You need to see what kind of huge files you have on your site like images people tend to put images on pages that are WAY too big and more things and that can be taking up some of your space and more.

why not resize them to an appropriate size and then upload them again you can use a program called irfanview then upload your pages again. Because if you are over the 5mb limit your pages won't be visible.

If you need more space then upgrade to paid hosting plan

I have deleted loads of it, but I'm wondering if some of the photos are stored somewhere else? I have just left the title page and one other so should be well under the limit.
It seems to be the disc space that is high but I don't know what that is to try and reduce it.

The site now just shows ponies that I used to own, don't think that contravenes any rules, but I could be wrong.

Yes you say you have pictures of ponies on your site but are the image files TOO BIG

your page won't show if you are over the 5mb limit

or if you don't have the index.html page in the root area of your directory

Your disk space if VERY important and need to understand it before going on

I just looked at you "Boys" page, and while the images are slightly too large, they are not big enough to question your sanity. (If you take some time to check the sizes of some images posted on the web, you will understand what I mean.)

However, there was a lot of images on that page, and in it's original state it was almost 10% of your limit. With 16 more pages on the menu, it seems quite likely that you were taking up too much space.

You said something in your last message that at first puzzled me, but it then occured to me that it could possibly explain your problem:

"I'm wondering if some of the photos are stored somewhere else? I have just left the title page and one other"

I thought at first you meant you were loading images from photobucket or some other site, but it would be strange if you didn't know. However, there are people who seem to believe that the photos become "part of" the page, the way they do in word processor documents. Are you one of those?

It doesn't really matter how many pages you delete. The pages are almost always too small to make a noticable difference. Delete pages and leave photos, and you will almost certainly still be over the limit.

It would seem that Corwings has probably identified the source of your problem, but I wanted to clarify what I was referring to when I suggested a possible TOS violation: Often TOS violations are identified by word recognition software; ie, certain words or phrases trigger the process. In your case, you use the words "Chicken Ranch", which was formerly a notorious brothel in Nevada, and "stud", (self explanatory), so that combination may identify your site erroneously.

Hmmmmm, we named the farm because we had chickens and horses I found out about the "real Chicken Ranch" when I visited my sister in the US. The address is on all my I.D. documents! It left me with a very red face on several occasions I can tell you.

My site should only be showing the title page and the "old Friends" page, I have deleted all the other ones. If you can see the boys page then I have done something wrong somewhere.

Will have to have a delve and see if I can find where the photos are stored and delete them.
Wish I could make a living from my "stud" but sadly, according to the Tax man, it is just an expensive hobby. Told me I'm not actualy in business if I never make a profit.

Profanity filters can throw up some strange results. I had a battle with Google once because some photos taken in the county of Essex were deemed "adult" because of the last three letters in the name.

Like the others, I would guess that there is a folder on your site called something like "photos" which contains a lot of redundant images. For text based pages the allowance is huge but a couple of high definition photos will eat it up very quickly.

Making a business of your hobbt can be quite profitable if it funds stuff that you would buy anyway as deductable expenses.