This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
PP: what is a log in form code & where do you get 1?

I just found this on Bravehost wiki:

You must place the Login Form code on the page you want people to log in from, and add the Security Code inside the header of all the pages you want to protect.

I already created my website & got the webtool PP & this is the first I've heard of any codes or headers.

Where is the code?
What is this header they're talking about? I use Website Manager and no headers there. How do I do this?
Thank you.

Browser: Mozilla Firefox

Re: PP: what is a log in form code & where do you get 1?

When you signed up for the PP service you should have gotten a code sent do your e-mail address

if you didn't then probably down to your e-mail provider especially if have yahoo, hotmail, gmail, aol

so you need to login to your bravenet account and go to the webtools section and click on the password gate link and then you will see a button that says get code and there you will see the 2 codes you need

One is the code you place on the page where you want people to login from like your main index.html page

So you would go to your editor and hopefully you have a html format editor where all you see is your website in html coding.

then place that code where you want the service to be and it has to be between the opening < body > and < / body >

The other code that goes between the header

you have html codeing near top of your page that says

< head > and < / head >

so place that code in between there

Indeed I never got it: I saved all 4 of my Bravenet emails & none with PP codes.

Thank you so much for kindly taking the time to share your knowledge with me.

I found the codes thanks to your help, and the editor as well. Placed them correctly. Double checked in the visual editor. Everything in place. Went back to text editor, I hit save then published the website. I then used another web browser and my website is still accessible by all with no relfection of my saved & published changes.

I saved the changes in the text editor, not the visual. Any idea what went wrong?

Ok I just went back to the text editor and all my changes are lost. Hmm... I did hit the save icon upper left corner. The pop up asked me "are you sure?" I hit yes & then exited the editor by clicking the "Manage Websites" tab.

How do you properly exit the text editor? What am I doing wrong? How do I get the changes saved once I hit "save diskette icon", please?

Thank you again.

Hi Tom,

Ok I just went thru the steps again & I got everything in its correct places as you and Bhst tells me to. Saved exited and published. Made sure to hit publish twice and got the pop up "wait" and the lights moving that say it's being published.

But no changes again.

I went back to the editor and all changes are wiped out. There has to be a glitch somewhere. I am hitting save and not "save as" or "save in another file".

I have placed the codes in their proper places.

Any thoughts?

Thank you again.

Please note, any changes made here will NOT be loaded into the Website Wizard. If you want to edit your pages from here, you'll need to stop using the Wizard to publish, as this would overwrite the File Manager changes.

If you are hitting the publish button - that means you have created your website using the website wizard.

As that note says on the top of the file manager, any changes made in the file manager will not be loaded into the website wizard. When you are saving your changes are probably working but then you are going back into the website wizard and undoing your changes by publishing there.

The Website Wizard is limited in allowing you to edit code. After editing the code in the file manager, save and then see if the password protect works. Do not publish with your website wizard.

Thank you so much it worked!

2 questions:

How do I log out? I wish to test my other password.

Does this mean I can never go back to Website Wizard from now on? Even for creating more pages? I have no idea how to work with Text editor. I might try the visual. I'm website building & HTML code ignorant.

Thank you!

Once venture away from the wizard do not go back if you edit in the text/visual editor then you save/publish there

if you go back to wizard and hit publish then you just lost all you edited in the text/visual editor

Wizard is strictly if you want to work there alone

I think Philo always has a more in depth with using the wizard/text editor. I always see him reply with that area

Thank you for your reply Tom. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Tom
Once venture away from the wizard do not go back if you edit in the text/visual editor then you save/publish there

if you go back to wizard and hit publish then you just lost all you edited in the text/visual editor

Wizard is strictly if you want to work there alone

I think Philo always has a more in depth with using the wizard/text editor. I always see him reply with that area
ok i followed all the steps but i can't fined the Publish button so any ideas on where it might be and wut r thses passward gate that u can move around in visual editor

Browser: foxfire

The Website Wizard has a "publish website" link because it stores your web page content in a data base. When the "publish website" link is used, the stored content is combined with the page structure and is written to your web site.

However, when you are editing with the Visual/Text editors in the File Manager, you are editing the files on your web site. A data base is no longer involved. So, when you save your changes, your web site files are updated immediately. There is no need for a "publish" operation.

As soon as you save your changes, you should be able to view them from your browser. You will probably need to force a couple of browser refreshes (F5 or Ctrl-R). This makes your browser update it's information from the internet, showing you the changes.

Note that moving away from the Wizard and using the Visual/Text editors, is not necessarily a good idea. The Visual editor in particular, will automatically delete some HTML structures that it doesn't recognize. Even though they are valid and necessary. The Text editor can be used to put them back in, but that means extra work. Many users have moved away from the Wizard and have regretted it. Unless you are really up on HTML/CSS, it often ends up in disaster.

It may be a little more difficult than in the Visual/Text editors, to add one of the Bravenet tools to your web site. But you should be able to do it in the Wizard and preserve your Wizard creation.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....