This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Remote Linking

I signed up for the FREE Bravenet web hosting option so that I could upload files and then link to these from my blog. I'm guessing that this is not allowed with the free web hosting Bravenet offers and that I have to upgrade (pay). Is this correct or is there some setting that will allow me to link to my bravenet pages/files from my blog?????

Please help!

Re: Remote Linking

That depends on what your trying to link to.

If your using a free site for image storage, your right. Bravenet doesn't like their free sites used for image storage, so they disable "hot linking". Paid users can choose to enable/disable "hot linking". If your only interested in image storage, there are other options. Like Bravenet's free Photo Album service or other sites dedicated to hosting images.

But if your talking about HTML web pages, there should be no problem linking to your site. In fact, you could create a simple HTML file that simply displays your image(s), and link to that. There wouldn't be any real problem with that. But with the 5 MByte limitation, a free site is a poor choice for image storage. A couple of large images and your out of space.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....

Re: Remote Linking

Thank you for the quick response. That's what I thought. I'm really just playing around and learning something new. My background is in mainframe business apps, so working with websites and html is pretty new to me. I like to code and figure out how things work, so this is "fun" for me.... I know, crazy, right?

Anyway, thanks for your response. I'm sure I'll have more questions later...
Happy Holidays!

PS. I uploaded the gif (twinkling holiday lights)to the free photo album and then linked from my blog to this page. It worked great! Prior to this, I had downloaded the gif to my hard drive and then uploaded it to the blog post. The picture was there in the post, but not animated. This worked much better. Thanks! Just wondering... how can I view the "code" for an animated picture?