This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
can't find 2nd page of web site

HI I created a 2 page web site. The 2nd page is an excell spreadsheet that I converted to a html. When I click on the link it says 2nd page can't be found. When I created the web sit I used the wizard and didn't have the excel created yet so I uploaded later and named it what I original created in the wizard. Please help a newbie

Re: can't find 2nd page of web site

Well, you probably made some kind of mistake. Since you deny us even the URL of your website, I don't see what kind of grounds we would have for guessing. Using microsoft products like excel to create webpages is usually a mistake in itself. So is mixing Wizard with anything else. As far as I know replacing the original Wizard file should work as long as you don't "Publish". And if you "Published", you should see the original Wizard page2.

I am new so I wasn't trying to hide anything. I thought it might be easy. I used the wizard because I've only used the site one other time. When I try to open the link it looks like it does try to open 2 pages

It's always good to include the URL for your web site. It doesn't always lead us to the answer, but most of the time it does.

Your methods were correct, but you didn't take into account the kind of web page that Excel creates and the fact that you have a free web site. If you had paid hosting, the file would have worked just fine.

Even though you see an error page, indicating that your file was not found, it is there. If you read the source code you will see the code for the Excel spread sheet. But you will also see the code for the advertisments that Bravenet inserts.

Excel generates a frames based web page. The advertisments from Bravenet do not work well with frames. This causes the ads to be inserted a some pretty bad places. In your case, the ads are inserted into the Javascript. Once that happens, your page will not be decipherable. It's as if it doesn't exist at all.

Your best bet is to manually create a HTML table from the spread sheet. You can see how to construct a table at W3Schools - HTML Tables. You can create the table with a text editor and then copy/paste the code into a Website Wizard page. You will need to switch to the Code Editor mode when you in the Wizard. When you switch back to the Visual Editor mode, you should see the table and be able to edit it directly.

It's not the best way to deal with it, but about the only way if your using a free site and the Wizard.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....