This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
website being blocked

a lot of web filters are blocking my site because it is listed as a "personal web site," which is a clear fallacy. Anything I can do to change this?

Re: website being blocked

Some filters such as Bluecoat can be very aggressive in their filtering and rather unpredicatable.

If your problem is with somebody's firewall then it may be down to their own customisation and you need to take it up with them. If it is with a public filter or an "out of the box" setting for a new installation then you need to contact the vendor.

"personal"??? Unless that is some new euphemism I haven't picked up yet, I would guess the problem is with employers who don't want their staff to surf on sites are not relevant to the work they are supposed to do.

South Caroline wrestling may be relevant for people selling sports equipment, say. But most of us should visit your pages on our own time.

(OK, I'm working right now. But I haven't got that kind of boss)

"Personal" is a classification in Bluecoat. What it usually does is block anything that is a sub domain of a known free hosting service such as Bravehost.

As I said before these filters are highly customisable and produce some weird results. For example I can access a single thread from one of these forums from my office PC but not the whole forum. Any queries must first go to the admin at the site which is running the filter.

It is semi-worked related in that I communicate with about 100 coaches throughout the state using the site. So I need to have them submit an override to their network admins?

It sounds a little odd that around 100 people are all using filters of this type. Can we just confirm that they problem is with accessing the site not with receiving an email from you?