This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Got A Few Issues

ok first off...

1.) Index.html, i cant set this as my homepage, even though it is in the root folder, or at least i think it is. using FTP via dreamweaver CS4, i log into the FTP applet, then the folder web, then the folder with my URL and i have uploaded index.html there.

2.)my template wont appear, i have uploaded all necessary images and .css files but nothing, it appears fine in Dreamweaver Live View and localy, but not on the bravenet server.

Browser: Chrome / Firefox / IE8

Re: Got A Few Issues

Have a look at your code. Your CSS is being linked to your computer - you need to edit it so it is being referenced off your website. At least take out all the stuff before it so it only says "default.css"

Courtnie

ok, im not good at this coding, but im ok with the basic stuff.

am i correct in thinking you want me to edit the parts with URL in the .CSS file?

.bg4 { background: url(images/img08.gif) no-repeat left bottom; }
.bg5 { background: url(images/img09.gif) no-repeat left bottom; }
.bg6 { background: url(images/img10.gif) no-repeat right bottom; }
.bg7 { background: url(images/img11.gif) no-repeat right bottom; }

your wanting me the change the part that reads URL to the actual URL of my site?

No, in your HTML. The CSS is called in

Code:
<link href="/C|/Users/The Tech Guru/Desktop/Canvass/1. Source/default.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

It is trying to take it right off your computer.

Try:

Code:
<link href="default.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

ok, i got all that sorted on all of my pages and templates, but still i cant seem to figure out the homepage stuff, its in the root folder, but its still www.thetechguru-horseisleguide.co.cc/index.html and not just the simple URL

EDIT: Got it, just a simple fiddling around, uploaded the file several times with different edits, nothing of which i tried to get it working, but i've fixed it.

EDIT2: I didn't get my point across there, when i visited www.thetechguru-horseisleguide.co.cc, it just came up with a bravenet page explaining that the user hadn't uploaded any documents yet.

That sounds right.

Your home page is a FILE so it has to have a file name just like any Word document, picture, spreadsheet or anything else on a computer. That file name is index.html

The web server is designed so that when somebody types www.thetechguru-horseisleguide.co.cc it will display the file index.html

ok, another question...

using FTP via Dreamweaver CS4, when i click synchronise, is doesn't synchronise, even though the files have been edited and updated? it that just dreamweaver or is it something im doing wrong?

How do you know that it's not working? Is Dreamweaver telling you that the synchronize failed, or are you just not seeing and changes?

If it's not a Dreamweaver issue, it's pretty easy to tell whether it worked. Before you run a synchronization, look at your files from the File Manager in your Bravenet account. The File Manager will list the date and times of all your files and folders. Note the date/time for one of your files. Then make a change to the file and synchronize. Make the change obvious, so you can see it easily later. Go back to the File Manager and check the date/time. It should have updated, if they synchronization worked.

If the date/time updated, view your web site from a browser. If you don't see the change right away, force a couple of browser refreshes (F5 or Ctrl-R). This will force your browser to update it's cache and get updated information from your web site.

If none of this worked, you may have an issue with the setup of Dreamweaver. I don't use Dreamweaver, but there is lots of information on the internet on how to set up the synchronization. You can try this link to the on-line information on Using Adobe Dreamweaver CS4. You may also want to follow the link to their community support forms. They usually have most the issues already worked out.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....

ok, cheers. when i sync it, dreamweaver just tells me that there are no changes made to the files because they are already up to date, even thought the file dates and times are different.

will take a look at the dreamweaver website a little later when im at home. thanks.