This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
What am I paying for?

Since I purchased a Pro hosting package I have simply been unable to get beyond the first stage of creating a website. NONE of the things that persuaded me to buy the package work. Support is NON-EXISTENT except odd times through other Members and I expect far better than that for my money. FTP transfer does NOT work, even though I use the recommended FileZilla - material gets cut off by Bravenet all the time, so it is NOT a fast transfer it is a ZERO transfer.
Only the Free Web Wizard works (after a fashion) and other offers do NOT open.
Is this a CON or what?
I used the free system for about five years and accepted certain limitations on that basis. I now feel totally ripped off, and let-down by Bravenet, and couldn't even vaguely suggest anyone else takes up a paid package.

Re: What am I paying for?

Uploading is no different for paid hosting than for free hosting. I have never had a problem, perhaps if you were clearer about the issues you were experiencing then somebody could help.

Over the years the biggest problem that I have found with uploading is trying to upload a large file (to any host) over a slow connection. The ISP (NOT the host) often timed out the connection.

Thank you for the comment Peter, but if as you say there is no difference regarding uploading with paid or free sites, then my question still stands - what exactly am I paying for?
Regarding the issues, the reason I use, or try to use a paid hosting site is to get something that I don't know how to do myself. It is like employing any tradesman. We all know some basics, but use an expert when we go beyond our own knowledge base.
If, and I repeat IF I knew the technical stuff, then I would get my own server and work with that, but I don't. Bravenet, as with all the others offer 'support' as part of their sales package. For me 'support' is not being directed towards other people having problems, but to the provider of the service.
It's like my plumber saying to me to go and talk to my neighbour about their problem and how they resolved it. Fine if I am not paying the plumber for a service. Otherwise it is not.
For example please explain to me how I am to explain that I have used FileZilla (as recommended), that I am told the file transfer as been successful - yet I cannot find it on my files? How can I make that more technical or clearer?
How can I make it any clearer when offered templates, that I cannot open them despite having one entry point to click?
I recognise that I am an ancient, I recognise that the world is no longer service-oriented as it once was, and I do accept unfortunately that courtesies have all but disappeared in the Web-world.
I will settle for the service I have paid for - not MY 'negotiated price', but that required for a service by the service provider.
On that basis I feel quite at liberty to question the level of service paid for - which is where I cam in.

For starters BRAVENET does not help you with designing your site, the different things used to design your site and more.

Filezilla I have heard not always works with some either

There are other ftp programs and more can try in regards to uploading files etc

If there is a much more technical problem that ONLY bravenet can help you with then you go to them. These forums are for helping others solve their problems if it is something simple and general that we here can solve

Bravenet employees don't hang in these forums to answer your questions. When they do come in their answers are open a support ticket because it may be something can't discuss at the forums and more

I have no problems with the ftp program I use. And I know many always suggest here Filezilla as well but sometimes I have seen issues with it as well

But I always have a back up just in case

You are paying to be ad free, to have more storage and more bandwidth.

I am afraid that your plumber analogy doesn't work. YOU are the plumber, Bravenet is the bathroom goods supplier. The bathroom goods supplier expects you to know how to fit the bathroom.

Hi Peter,

thanks for that, but on a purely semantic level that is not the case as Bravenet promotes itself and persuades people to use the system 'even when you know nothing' or words to that effect.

Anyway the case is closed as far as I am concerned as I have better things to do with my time now, as I am sure you have.

My only passing thought is that I have checked out other hosts and read comments applied to these and they appear worse than Bravenet - even those with a theoretically high user-friendly rating.

If you really want something simple, Bravenet also has Viviti.com. It is a website builder with no FTP.
I would try that.

Viviti.com