This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Template Help

I have a domain name registered here and am using one of the templates from the wizard, I want to use of the templates from the gallery but dont know how to apply it to my website, (and will I loose all my website content) I have tried this before and remember having a hard time with, when ever I published with the new template, the old website kept coming up, even after refreshing the page many times, maybe I just did something wrong last time, or just don't get it, either way if anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
Pam

Browser: Firefox

Re: Template Help

This didn't work before because, you are trying to mix the Wizard with something else. The Wizard is self contained. The Wizard stores all your content until you use the "publish website" link. It then writes your web page(s) and support files to your web site. This allows you to make changes in the background without affecting your web site. But, the Wizards "publish website" link is strictly for the Wizard. It can not be used to "publish" anything else.

While you can see the certainly see the Wizards output files on your web site, they should not be edited with any editor, outside of the Wizard. If you do, the Wizard's data base will not see the changes. If you do change them with say the Visual Editor in the File Manager, the next time you use the "publish website" link, all your changes will be overwritten.

If you want to use one of the templates in the Template Gallery. You need to move away from the Wizard and use different editors. For a better understanding of how to work with a template, you might want to try my pages on Kvetching About Templates.

And, you will never lose the contents of the Wizard. Once you start using the Wizard, it will always hold the data you entered there. But to move it to a template, you will need to copy and paste it from the Wizard.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....

Re: Template Help

Thank You so much for all of your help, now I get it and can use the templates I want, I mean it thank you so much for clearing this up for me.

Browser: Firefox