This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Need to merge purchased hosting and remove bravehost.com off url

Hello,
I just purchased hosting for my website trdesignsdw.bravehost.com. Now I need to transfer all the files to my new domain trdesignsdw.com and remove the bravehost.com off my url.. how do I do that?

Browser: moxilla firefox

Re: Need to merge purchased hosting and remove bravehost.com off url

Well once you move your files over to your new domain your URL will be

drdesignsdw.com/index.html

Well, it might be. Perhaps you ought to consider if that isn't a more handy URL than:
http://www.trdesignsdw.bravehost.com/homepage/homepage%20html%20projects/tr_homepage.html

You may have sane reasons for a subdirectory structure like that, but at the moment, I can't think of any.

How do i transfer my files over to the new URL?

and to answer the other questions from the other person that replied..Why do you think that shows up like that on my site..is it maybe because my original files are in different folders?

Browser: Mozilla Firefox

Well, that was the location of the file you linked to from your main page (well, if you can call a page that simply says "Click Below To See My New Homepage"). If you don't know that, I assume you use some kind of edtior that creates the links for you, and that you uploaded whole directories rather than pages.

I suggest you rename the homepage.html to index.html and upload to your root directory when you make the move.

Thanks, Corwings..I had an issue in the beginning trying to get the main page to open online when I first created the bravehost account so my teacher just said to make one that linked to it. Long story..Thanks for the info though. I'll try switching the page later on tonight.

I still dont know how to transfer the files over to the new trdesignsdw.com and drop the bravehost.com..Could you help me with that?

Browser: Mozilla Firefox

Move your files over to your domain and publish there and don't even mess with your free site unless you want it for back up

just upload/publish with whatever editor you are using and make sure save files on your computer too for back up purposes

then as said you will have the new URL of trdesignsdw.com or trdesignsdw.com/index.html

but as was mentioned your main index.html page needs to be in your root directory

Then you can add any pages you want and more and organize in an easy way don't have long files like the one you previously had that was mentioned in another post

no one likes mile long URL's

I moved my files over to the new site..I deleted the "Click to see my homepage" link and changed the page that it used to open to index.html..Now all I get is a black page and the words coverpage instead of the actual page. This first page is a jpp file (called coverpage.jpg) with some hotspots in it that link to other pages.

I cant get this page to open right though..By the way, I was using Dreamweaver but I dont know how to use it too well..Im still learning.

Browser: mozilla firefox

What you are saying isn't so. The first page is index.html. But on that page is your .jpg image - or it is supposed to be. Try changing

img src="../homepage images/coverpage.jpg
to
img src="coverpage.jpg

And stop using spaces in your file names. At Bravehost that actually works, but at some time you may want to change hosts, and you will find it very tedious to edit all the file names.

You need to upload/publish your files properly

AND have things coded properly as well

DO NOT put spaces in your file names as browsers DO NOT like spaces or FOLDER names with spaces either

Things are not going to show up if you don't have it coded right and/or images or other things not uploaded to where you have them trying to be found

I dont understand why they wouldnt work now when they worked fine before. The folder names were the same but Ill try fixing that too. Thanks.

Thanks Corwings...Ill try that as well..

Long and needlessly complicated folder names work. It is just that the coding on your page must match the actual location of the image