This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
New Changes Not Showing Up

I have asked this before but seem to not get a good answer as to why this may be happening. I have the free web hosting and do my editing thru the file manager, not the web wizard. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. I am getting very frustrated. I expect the editing/changes to take effect soon after I close out the page. It even tells me the files I've added, they are dated right and everything. For example, this morning I edited my page. I added a new photo, inserted it in my page and then okayed the changes, closed it out. But then when I go to pull it back up, it shows the old changes. I'm about to pull my hair out. What am I doing wrong? Like now I just redid the changes and even deleted the photo that was there two weeks ago and now no changes and no picture either. Although when I go into the HTML coding, everything is okay.

Thanks,
Vicki Short

Browser: AOL/I.E. 7

Re: New Changes Not Showing Up

For starters it looks like you DELETED Your homepage which was index.html

YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE DONE THAT

so RENAME your scramble_time.html page to index.html

your main page NEEDS to be index.html for your homepage then you can add on any other pages you want

your picture is not showing up because it is nothing but broken image even if go to the link for your image

With images you need to make sure they are uploaded to where you coded them for

Now if you saved your pages properly in the visual/text editor area or wherever you are editing they should be live

if not then clear your cache out and hit refresh

your browser may be seeing the old pages

Hi Todd,

When I first created this page, I was told I had TWO pages....one of which might have been the index.html. I was told by a member here to delete it. They asked me why I had two, that I didn't need the two so that's what I did. Well, after typing in the URL in my browser instead of relying on copying and pasting the URL, it shows up now. Everything seems to be okay. You check it out again, you will see it's showing up with the new changes.

But you are still saying I need to rename my Scramble page? But if I do, won't that also change the URL I use for my Scramble game to members?

Thanks,
Vicki

Your scramble game page that you have listed here and YOUR HOMEPAGE the index.html page you DELETED WHICH YOU WERE NOT SUPPOSED TO

were the SAME PAGE

NOW you have deleted the WRONG PAGE so rename your scramble_time.html page to index.html

THe main page for your site NEEDS TO BE index.html

If you want to KEEP the scramble_time.html page as your scramble page then at least go and remake your index.html page and publish it

If all you want is the scramble page you have then YES the URL WILL CHANGE

But in response to your other posts you had different things happening so yes it warranted different responses

But the index.html page is the one you NEVER DELETE.

So as said in this case rename your scramble_time.html page to index.html or make something else that is to be your index.html page.

Maybe something about you and what the scramble is and more things

WHen you signed up for your subdomain etc it was

royjean.bravehost.com/index.html

that is the page name you have to have in order for your site to be recognized and not have the error pages and more

You can have more pages beyond that linked to your homepage

Okay Steve, and sorry if I'm having a hard time understanding, so if I go and make another page ending with the index.html I can more or less duplicate the coding? Like do up a brandnew page but name it with the index.html but keep the other one too? I am getting so confused now. I wonder how come when I originally created my account and pages, I was told to delete one? So you are saying I deleted the wrong one?

But first I just want to understand that I need to go in and instead of the Scramble page being scramble_time.html, it should be scramble_time.index.html? And it will work? Sorry for being so dumb.

Thanks,
Vicki Short

No, not what you just said, but what you apparently did. Simply rename the page in File Manager. Nothing wrong with a page named scramble-time in itself. But it is not necessary when people just nead to type "http://royjean.bravehost.com" to go to your index.html.

Geocities used to have a program to weed out people who signed up but never made a webpage. Since it was automated, it also deleted websites which made the mistake of naming the main page something else. As far as I know, that doesn't happen at Bravehost, but...

Okay Corwings, bear with me I must be having a "blonde-hair" day because maybe it's because I was with Geocities for years and I can't get this out of my head that I need a page named for my game. So tell me if I understand, as long as I keep it like it is, index.html I just give my members that are playing the Scramble, the royjean.bravehost.com URL it will take them to my page? I feel I'm getting so confused it's not funny.

Thanks,
Vicki Short

Yes. If the link says
http://www.royjean.bravehost.com
it will take us to http://royjean.bravehost.com.index.html (as long as that file exists. Geocites was exactly the same, by the way (or is, if it is still there)

Thank you, I will keep it like it is instead of messing with it or renaming it. It appears everything is okay now. And yes, Geocities is still there, the free site, but is suppose to shutdown sometime before the month is over. Hopefully before I get too much older, I'll get the hang of this. ha ha

Thanks,
Vicki Short