This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
can't add anything more to my page?

When I try to add code to one of my pages and save it just says "disk quota exceeded." Not sure what this means.

Re: can't add anything more to my page?

bravenet free hosting and or subdomain only allows you 5mb of space

So you may be over the space allotted limit for your site

So better upgrade to paid hosting or remove some of your files and more

As see no link to your site can't really tell what you could have that could be taking you over your limit and more.

552 STOR denied: quota exceeded: used 13.60 of 5.00 upload Mb.
The Help pages tell me my upload/download quota has exceeded the 1.5 Gb @ month allowance - which they say will be reset after the first of next month. This happened today (Oct. 2nd!), and I cannot see how my allowed bandwidth has been exceeded in only TWO days.
If this does refer to my having too many files on the server, I deleted over a Mb of graphics, and I am still denied. Do I read the error message incorrectly?

Browser: IE 6x

You've said that my free account only allows me 5 MB of space, but I downloaded all my files to a local directory which measures 9.86 MB. I am surprised that with that many files over the limit, why is BraveHost now telling me about it. I've been able to upload and update regularly up until now.
I started deleting files, but it looks like I will need to delete almost everything out there before I can set things right again.
I am confused.
Also, I cannot find mention of the 5 MB limit for free site anywhere on the site, tho I've look everywhere . . .

Browser: IE 6x

This change was coming and more. Bravenet has had it out that the space limit for the free hosting and or free subdomains was now going to be ONLY 5mb

So if you are over the limit you need to reduce.

YOu can read the newsletter if you login to your account

You will see a table area that says web hosting

in there you will see a little blurb on the changes that took place on September 15.

There is a link for the full newsletter on it if you click the link where it says Please Click for more details

There are some other places that do allow free hosting with more space if you want to move there you would have to save your files and delete your free subdomain etc and check out some other places because 5mb is small and such. Or look into upgrading

Personally I will be moving my website to another host, free or otherwise. I dislike 5mb limits, there are plenty of hosts out there who offer WAY more for free.

Browser: Firefox

Unless you are trying to create your own photo gallery 5 meg is massive.

The most usual reason for problems is when people upload a few high definition images from a digital camera which can come out at a couple of meg each. You don't need print quality on the web, you can normally resize quite happily to about 50k

Does Bravenet have a free tool which will resize all our photos for us? Seems fair.

william try irfanview I think it is

Irfanview is an excellent free download for resizing and cropping photos. Google will find it for you.

Browser: firefox

Is there no program which will automatically go through my website and resize the photos? I can rename files but not replace them. How can I resize a photo if I can't replace files? I've had the website since 2005. I don't have the originals of many of the photos. The website has the only copy. The photos illustrate car repairs, etc., that I put in the website for other people. They are not family photos or for my own use or entertainment.
Thank you.

PS I can't download programs to the computers at the public library which I use to update and maintain my website.

well may be out of luck till you get a computer at home to do your updating and more with

also could have backed up your website and more and had original of pictures and more that way so you could resize your pictures

but you need a graphics program to do that properly

Well, I would usually say that if you haven't access to image editng software, you cannot run a website. But there are ways.
http://www.pixlr.com/
has an online image editor that will let you fetch images from the web and resize them. As long as your library computer allows you to save images, you can then upload them to replace the old ones.

Thanks for the suggestions. As I understand it this is what I have to do.
1. copy all website photos to disk on library computer
(I don't know the space limit at the library)
2. edit photos and save with www.pixlr.com
(not sure how to do this)
3. delete all photos from website
4. upload all edited photos to website

Is there no way I can do them one at a time? The above looks risky because all the photos have to be deleted from the website before any can be replaced. If I have done something wrong in step 2 I've lost all the photos in step 3 before finding out in step 4. I'm also constrained by a 1 hour session limit on the library computers. :(

No, there may be some kind of batch processing in pixlr that I didn't notice, I don't use it myself. But as far as I know, doing them one at at time is the normal (and probably only) way. The way I read it, you do the following:

1) Open one image from your site in pixlr (using the "Open image from URL" option)
2) Edit and save (for resizing, use Image, then Image Size in the menu)
3) Upload image to Bravehost (unless you change the filename, the new file will replace the old one, no deleting needed)

Resizing will loose some quality and detail. If there are pictures that you want to keep and use for other purposes later, you could start an account at photobucket.com, download those images and upload them to photobucket.

Corwings: Your step 3 won't work. Since I am over the 5MB limit I can't upload any files to the website.

I did the math and even if I reduced all photos to 50kb I'd still be at 7MB. The new limit is 5MB. I'm currently at 22MB. I'll have to find a new website. this really sucks. Any recommendations?

William, I think you will have to accept the sad reality that you CANT manage a 22MB website from a public library computer.

Yes if need a large site and only can update from a library computer you are very limited and more you need a computer at home where you have more freedom to update and more

Also who wants to be downloading huge files from your site or any site as well especially when have images that may take time to load and more I just leave and more those sites

And especially if some still have dial up as well too.

Then files would take even longer

But as said with all your issues starting now you have you will have more probably in future if have to use programs where the library won't let you download to etc and more

I wouldn't have even built a site if didn't have my own computer and only had a computer like at the local school library or public library to use.

They want to protect what can be downloaded and more since others use the computers

Karen: I had a "large" site and I maintained it from the public library since 2005 until the service provider arbitrarily reduced the quota 90%. I think it's pretty obvious using Internet access at the public library is not a problem. Cutting the quota 90% is the problem.

I got my degree in math and computing at the UofT in 1971 and have participated of the evolution of computing for almost 40 years. When I left retired I was computer services manager in a government engineering and statistical research centre here in Ottawa. I haven't seen anything like this before. Bravenet did not restrict the size of JPEG files as some organizations do. To blame the user is unfair.

Do you know of another free website provider who doesn't have this problem where I could transfer the files? Thank you.

I've obtained a free website with 1GB space.
I will begin transferring files tomorrow.
Bravenet was fine while it lasted.
I hope you are not in financial difficulty.

William could you please email me the place you found 1gb of space? I need to have a place to showcase my music site. Thanks :)

Michelle you need to buy a domain if you want to put up music files

not many places will allow you to host music files especially with free hosting

Bravenet cut back due to many people using the free sites just for storage and more and not really having sites and more

It is their perogative to have cut back and more because their free space was being abused and more

So to those who don't like the changes move on down the road