This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
not authorized to view website

My free hosted website is under 5MB (4.7) yet once I made some updates to the site and tried to view my changes, it now says "not authorized to view this page". I'm hoping this is just a temporary problem. Anyone else have trouble veiwing their free hosted sites? Thanks!

Re: not authorized to view website

Do you have an index.html page? Could possibly be why you are seeing this error.

Courtnie

Oh I can view my one site now that I've deleted my others. They aint getting a dime of my money pulling this crap.

Darrel either live with their changes or move elsewhere

You may have had one free hosted site that was under 5mb but if you had others on your one account they all would have been totalled together for the 5mb limit so

That has been the rule ever since.

Only thing changing is the amount of space you have for your free hosting/free subdomains

There are other places you can move to if you want a little more space

I also got the "not authorized" message after updating the website. What did you do to get it back up again? I don't have other websites, just the one.

Browser: internet explorer

Jeff not even sure what your website even is

the link you provided isn't correct

if you have the free subdomain it is bravehost.com NOT bravenet.com

You could have the 403 error page and that means you have NO index.html page in your root directory

or you changed your permissions or something depending on your editor you are using

or you are over the 5mb limit for free hosting/free subdomains here at bravenet

Jeff,

You have to read Darrel's other posts to understand what he did to re-gain access. Darrel had several sites, and the total disk space used exceeded the new 5 MByte limit. Once he brought the disk space within limits, his site was accessible again.

My guess is that, this is the tactic that Bravenet is using, to rein in free sites that are currently using more than 5 MBytes. Instead of just arbitrarily deleting web site files, they are giving you time to reduce it yourself. Log into your Account Manager and look at the amount of disk space you are using. Under "Web Hosting" you should see a listing for "Disk Space". If that is over 5 MBytes, you need to remove some files from your web site.

The usual reason for sites being too big, is images. If this is the issue, move the images to the photo album and then link to them from your web site. The space used photo album is not considered part of your web site space.

If disk space is not the issue, check to make sure you have a "index.html", using the File Manager. If your disk space is within limits and you do have a "index.html", open a trouble ticket with Bravenet.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....

Philo Kvetch

My guess is that, this is the tactic that Bravenet is using, to rein in free sites that are currently using more than 5 MBytes. Instead of just arbitrarily deleting web site files, they are giving you time to reduce it yourself.

This is what is happening; however, it was not intentional. There is currently a bug in our system for people using our web site builder. If you are over the 5mb storage limit and you go to publish your website using the website builder, it will deleted files, such as index.html. We are fixing this issue and it should be resolved very very soon.

None of your files are actually lost, if you get your site under the storage limit and republish your site will work again.

We are fixing this problem with the website wizard though. I will come back and let you know when it is fixed.

Courtnie

I checked and the site had less than the 5mb, but just the same I deleted a bunch of pictures anyway. I checked to see if there was a index.html. I didn't find one, so I created one. However, I still get the403 message and can't seem to put the site online. Is there anything you can do on your end or suggest what I can try on my end?
Thanks!

Jeff,

From looking at your site on our end, your site is over the new storage limit of 5mb.

As far as your index.html. I assume you were originally using the Website Wizard to create your site. This means you need to reduce the size of your website, and then go back to the website wizard and republish. You can not just create an index.html.

Courtnie

Wow! Thank you Courtnie! That explains it. Somehow I had it in my head the limit was 50mb and not 5. That will take an awful lot of cutting and trimming!
Thanks!

Yeah they have had it out for a while that their free hosting was being reduced from 50 to 5 mb

Too many were using it for storage of a lot of things.

Can upgrade or look around at other places.

But 5 is a lot less than the 50mb

Courtnie from Bravenet
Philo Kvetch

My guess is that, this is the tactic that Bravenet is using, to rein in free sites that are currently using more than 5 MBytes. Instead of just arbitrarily deleting web site files, they are giving you time to reduce it yourself.

This is what is happening; however, it was not intentional. There is currently a bug in our system for people using our web site builder. If you are over the 5mb storage limit and you go to publish your website using the website builder, it will deleted files, such as index.html. We are fixing this issue and it should be resolved very very soon.

None of your files are actually lost, if you get your site under the storage limit and republish your site will work again.

We are fixing this problem with the website wizard though. I will come back and let you know when it is fixed.

Courtnie

HI COURTNIE
its now sept 19th and im still having problems, my site still says 5mb, not 50mb, i pressume the problem hasnt been fixed yet, am i right. thanks

----
Darrel either live with their changes or move elsewhere

You may have had one free hosted site that was under 5mb but if you had others on your one account they all would have been totalled together for the 5mb limit so

That has been the rule ever since.

Only thing changing is the amount of space you have for your free hosting/free subdomains

There are other places you can move to if you want a little more space
bravenet has by far been the best free ad supported hosting on the net,but this reduction from 50mb to 5mb seems drastic,won't bravenets advertisers move elsewere as well???

Craig
Courtnie from Bravenet
Philo Kvetch

Courtnie

HI COURTNIE
its now sept 19th and im still having problems, my site still says 5mb, not 50mb, i pressume the problem hasnt been fixed yet, am i right. thanks

Hi Courtnie...
I am having many issues with my site... I tried to edit.. I tried to limit my storage as well but how do I do so.. I have deleted and combined many things to delete pages.. but nothing is working. when is this problem going to be fixed!! bc this really is inconvienent. I have customer that look at my site on a daily basis and it looks a mess right now with incorrect information on it. Also my page theme is not showing either!! please help

David bravenet doesn't help you in designing your website

In your other post you started with HELP!!!!!!!!! is a start to one of your problems

others could be your coding doesn't match to where your background image is etc