This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
how to upload a pic? & setup FireZilla?

Hi...anyone
I am a beginner with all of this. I don't hardly understand the language used in many cases.

How does one upload a pic thumbnail?
And, perhaps, delete if not wanted to save space?

How do I setup FireZilla Client?
Don't understand much with the Site Manager...?
Network configuration?

Or, is all I need to do is 'Host'? And what do I put in this box?

Next, what to put in 'Password'? Which password? The password to enter my beginning site? If not, how do I get started with this then?

And, 'Port'?

I really would appreciate helpful understanding , regarding these beginner questions. And any additional things I need to know regarding the setup.

I am trying to learn how to:
Finely, how to upload a thumbnail pic and how to insert it on one of the pages. I did not, as yet read the html code required as yet. I felt that I first have to learn how to upload and setup things, then learn how to code it.

I'm sure I will need step-by-step instructions since my understanding of all of this is so very little.
If I have not been clear in writing this, please don't hesitate to ask me for further classification.

With much appreciation for everyone's help and patience...

ron

Browser: FireFox

Beside the point, but...

FileZilla should be the answer to your first question (how to upload...), but I don't use FileZilla, so I'll leave that to someone else.

Just a comment on this:
". I felt that I first have to learn how to upload and setup things, then learn how to code it.

To me that sounds totally wrong. First build the site on your computer, then, when everything works right, upload.

Your way sounds to me a bit like first throwing all the materials into the ocean, then start on building a boat.

Re: how to upload a pic? & setup FireZilla?

The first question will be redundant once you set up Filezilla as you can simply drag and drop.

Log in to your account and click on the FTP tab. All the parameters are there. If you haven't already created an FTP account then you will have to do that first.

Host: copy from your Bravenet FTP account
Port: leave blank
Server Type: FTP - File Transfer Protocol
Logon Type : Normal
User: the FTP username from your FTP account
Password: the one you gave to your Bravenet FTP account
Account: leave blank

Hi
Thank you for your helpful reply. Its the best reply I had so far. You didn't assume that I knew that you can do this, or you can't do that. I know this and really appreciate the help.

I will attempt your instructions as soon as possible. Right, I didn't do anything yet with ftp.
with appreciation...
ron

I am having a hard time connecting filezilla aswell, and the bravenet ftp isnt tranfsering files,
im my ftp file manager i have an account, but now information on server, ports etc.

?

don't use the ftp applet here at bravenet as that has had issues forever

use a 3rd party ftp program to upload files. Have much better access than using the applet here at bravenet

your ftp information you can find by logging in and clicking on the ftp tab

Ron: setting up an FTP connection isn't particularly intuitive. At first I just took all the parameters that the hosting service gave me and tried them in different fields on the FTP program until it worked.

mdee: I have already given detailed instructions on how to set up Filezilla in a previous post. Have you got that far? You really need to give details of the problem as there are quite a few things that you can do wrong before we even think about problems at the Bravenet end.

Hi
Thanks for the information.
I could any guide lines anyone wishes to give.
I am one of those very beginners starting from scratch at site building. So, I know of know other way to install a pic. I just need my first-time successful experience. I've been kind of busy at the time of these helpful reply's, that I haven't had the chance to do the setup yet. I hope to start there, hopefully, by tomarrow. I apreciate your helpful suggestions.
ron

Hi
Not yet. I will be able to have the time tomarrow.
For some unknown reason a few problems have surfaced and are getting in the way. I intentions are to start setting up tomarrow. I'm reading the various helpful replies and suggestions that you people are giving me.
I also found the FileZilla Forum early this morning. I must start going thru the various problem questions people have been asking.
I'll let you know as soon as possible sometime tomarrow.
with appreciation
ron

Peter...
I just setup my Username, Password, & Host at Bravehost.com. I took your advice to avoid the ftp Applet since I will be using FileZilla. Besides that, I found further step-by-step instructions there which I didn't expect to find.
thanks
ron

Hi
I was successful with the connection.
Used 'Quick Connect' I noticed that it kept the information in the drop down window.
I saw my site files. I highlighted one and clicked on download which it said it did for me. I couldn't find where the downloaded file was to view it - while thinking about it, I was disconnected. I clicked on quick connection again. I had to go offline so I didn't figure, or was unable to figure out how to view the download. Maybe I did it wrong. Otherwise, It was easier than I thought. You mentioned that I should contact you after I'm able to connect. Additional information and insights appreciated.
ron