This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
The new storage limit

of 5 MB for free accounts starts september 15th. Does anyone know if that is 5MB per website or 5MB for all of your websites storage combined? Thanks.

Re: The new storage limit

Wow what a change.

Glad am not here with my site anymore.

Found better places even for free hosting and more

You get much more with it even as compared to bravenet

guess what they were giving was too much for them.

But I know with the other hosting plans if you hosted the 10 domains on one account they all shared same bandwidth and more.

So if building your free subdomain or such here better make it very dilute and more.

Especially with what files you use and more

Hey John if you could email me that site I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

He posted it on the Service forum. But this may well be a trend. For a lot of people the solution might be to look at the size of the files they are using. 5 megabytes should really be a large site if all files are the optimal size.

What will happen is that the huge free sites with big files will move to hosts with more space. If you run a free host, your profit margin will depend on the advertising income and the size of the sites. If a hosts suddenly gets all the bloated sites, they may find in necessary to change the rules too.

Thanks Corwings! I will check into my file sizes and study up on the subject. I have one site that is 4.7 MB. Another is just over 10 MB yet they're constructed similarly. So perhaps that is my solution. I was really thinking that bravehost would shut my sites down come September 15th if I was over the storage limit. I deeply appreciate you sharing your knowledge. Thanks again!

Fyi, it is 5MB of storage combined for all websites.

Corwings is right. A lot of sites we've looked at have images that are over 5MB when really they should be a couple hundred kilobytes. We will look into sending out a future newsletter article that shows how to optimize images.

Tim

Actually, a couple of hundred kilobytes will also be way too much for an image on a website. I can think of a few exceptions (the image is supposed to be downloaded and used for printing purposes), but mostly you should try again if the image is anywhere near three digits. I try to keep them under 30 kb, but then my sites doesn't require 1200x900 screens.

How do I delete stored pictures that I am no longer using on my site? I thought I had gotten rid of them all but they are still all available under uploaded hosted images. I am only using 5 pictures on the site and would really like to delete the others. Please help.

you can use ftp to get in to your file manager area and delete them

if you delete files from your webpage only they are still in your file manager area

you have to fully delete ANY files you don't want from your hosted account

either via ftp or use the ftp applet at bravenet just to delete what you are not using