General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
CNAME and Hostname

Currently:
I have a premium account with Bravenet.
I have a domain hosted elsewhere.
I would like to make a subdomain and CNAME it to my Bravenet a/c.

Question:

1) What is Bravenet's CNAME/Hostname?
eg Google's CNAME hostname is ghs.google.com
so Bravenet's CNAME hostname is ...........?

2) What is Bravenet's A Record IP number?
Bravenet's A Record IP = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx?

If anybody has done this please fill me in on the above answers. I have checked with support but they still have not replied me (probably due weekend) so if I can get an answer I could quickly set up my website. (I scoured the whole help/forum section and there wasn't a scrap of information).

Re: CNAME and Hostname

Finally found the A records. It is in the domain DNS/section the IP address shown for the domain is the A records.

I used it and managed to map the subdomain from bluehost to bravenet.

That still leaves me with the CNAME unanswered. Support in Bravenet is not replying to my CNAME request. What is the hostname for Bravenet for use as CNAME to map a sub/domain to Bravenet....? I need it because SBI uses only CNAME for mapping but not A records.

Finally got a reply from support regarding CNAME mapping. Apparently Bravenet do not support incoming CNAME. We can only use A RECORD to map incoming sub/domain.

For outgoing, yes they support CNAME mapping.

So if you are a SBI site owner you can't use Bravenet and thus can't use all their tools to complement your other account. If your other hosting supports A RECORDS then you map to Bravenet.

Oh, well...

Cheers!
Jan.
http://www.janleow.com

How to map?

This is for adding subdomain from an external domain not hosted on Bravenet using A records
1. Goto Domain Tab
2. Add external domain
3. After add, enter the domain manager of the domain added
4. Check the A records IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
5. Goto your other webhosting where your domain is hosted, goto their DNS section (each webhosting company will differ, so you have to check with them about DNS control)
6. Add the A records address that was noted earlier
7. If you are lucky, the subdomain will work instantly, if not wait for a few hours (as much as 48 hours) for the DNS to propagate.