This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
How could I edit and rename texts in images?

Hi all,

Using a template to build everything-for-kids.com, I found some texts on some good designed templates are difficult to rename. You can view, delete and rename the images. But you cannot edit them. For example if I have got a button named at the top menu-bar of a template "About" and I want to change this word to "Home", how could I do that on those templates?

Thank for tips in advance.

Re: How could I edit and rename texts in images?

Each button on your menu is a separate graphic element. You don't change the text on existing buttons, you make new ones. Usually, with templates, you are provided with image blanks for the logo and link buttons. These are usually in the provided image folder and clearly named.

The intention is to edit the blank logo/button with a graphic editor, to add annotation. The save it under a new name, and change the reference in your web page. Bravenet doesn't offer any on-line graphic capabilities, so you will need to have your own graphic editor.

I use a combination of MS Paint and IrfanView. I use Paint when I need to get down to the pixel level or overlay graphic elements. I use IrfanView when I need to cut up an image, change the image size, or add transparency. IrfanView is a good free graphic editor available at IrfanView.com. It is a little limited in color selection, when adding annotation, but good enough for my use. It has a lot of other very nice features.

If you have a digital camera, you might already have a graphic editor that can be used. Most digital cameras come with editors that let you manipulate your photos. The button images in your web page are effectively nothing more than little photos so your editor may give you the utility you need. There are, of course, many good commercial graphic editors available and you may already have one..

If the template did not provide you with a blank button image, using just MS Paint and IrfanView, you can create your own blank button, from the image on the right side of your menu bar, "images398/top_menu_16.jpg". The key is to make sure you keep the image width and height, the same as the original buttons. Once you do it a few times, it gets to be pretty simple. Then you can make all the buttons you want.

Re: Re: How could I edit and rename texts in images?

Martin, this is smart and impressive. Thanks for getting even beyond my question to highlight the way I am using my digital camera. I used it wrong until this moment I came through your reply.

I used the "Your Art" template and tried to play with those images. I couldn't find the image that says: 1-"Your Art" which I thought I can type there instead "Everything for Kids"; and that which says 2- "Welcome to Your New Art Website" so I can type something else.