General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Forum

Hi Bobby, I'm having a hard time getting into your forum these days - have to hit the "refresh" button two or three times before any messages come up. Very frustrating! Anybody else having the same bother, and is there a solution?

Where are you from ? Saltcoats

Re: Forum

Hello Hugh,
Good to hear from you. I was unaware of the problems. I've not had a chance to update the site for some time, the Glenafton Web-site and programme takes up most of my time - although I still do quite a bit of local history.

I believe I met a relative of yours from Barrhead when my son and I took in a St. Mirren game last season. We're bot Killie fans and I follow the Glens and my boy supports his local side Arthurlie and we ended up sitting next to a former Glens man now supporting Arthurlie and St. Mirren!!!

Hi Bobby, that must have been my cousin you met at the fitba. He is also called Hugh Nisbet, and lived at Woodend in New Cumnock till the end of the war, when he moved with his mum and dad to Barrhead. I'll tell him about your email. In fact I had another cousin called Hugh Nisbet, who lived in Barrow-in-Furness, and my father and grandfather were both called Hugh Nisbet, so you can imagine the reaction when we all were at our granny's house up the Stamp Brae and somebody shouted for Hugh - and got five replies!

Hello Hugh - please pass on my regards. I seem to remember him talking about Woodend. Was there also a relative that was the Glens trainer for some time?
With Killie away from home tomorrow, I'll be down at Dalry to watch the Glens in the West of Scotland

Hi Bobby, you're right - my uncle, Haddow Nisbet, was the Glens trainer in the late forties into the fifties. His youngest daughter, Jean, was married to Glens legend Danny McCulloch.
He was a butcher with the Co-operative and used to go round the town with his butcher's horse and cart. I well remember going round the Coupla with him during the school holidays. No problems about e.coli then - he used to give the horse a pat, put on its feedbag, then weigh out the mince and steak for the customers, and nowhere to wash his hands!
He also played the fiddle with the Gay Gordons Scottish Country Dance Band, so he was a very busy man!