General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clayslaps Cottage?

On the 1861 census for New Cumnock, my ancestors Andrew and Agnes Beattie are recorded as living in Clayslaps Cottage. Does anybody know of this cottage and where it is or was, or if this is a misprint, can anyone suggest what the name might be. Thank you, Colin

Where are you from ? Yorkshire

Re: Clayslaps Cottage?

Hello Colin, i have been looking through old maps without success. I am wondering if its related to tile working industry in the parish at Waistland or Wellhill. i'll keep looking.
cheers bobby

Thanks Bobby
In the 1861 census Andrew Beattie is stated as being a farmer of 8 acres at Clayslaps Cottage. My father also Andrew Beattie was born at Mossmark of Old Mill. He does not recognise the name Clayslaps, even although his family were farmers and builders in the area. This information came from the Baird Institute and a ? has been put after Clayslaps, so it may be incorrect.
Colin

Clayslaps wouldn't be a misnomer for "Glaisnock" would it? Again, the "clay" part of the name seems to suggest some possible connection with brickworks or pottery activity. There was [is?]a cothouse on the Connel Park-Benston Smithy road which I believe was identified as "the tileworks".It is situated on the west side of the road , and due west of Benston Farm, a short distance from the smiddy. My grandfather McNiven was part of the Beattie farming operation fairly close by this area, in Newfield, off the Skares road. This would be in the 1920s.

Where are you from ? Vancouver Island via lots-a-places stertin wi Connel Park

Unfortunately, i'm as much in the dark about Clayslaps as everybody else. I've been searching the old maps on-line, but nothing jumps out as being possible. I will have to get a hold of the 1861 census myself to try and decipher the name. Any other ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks to both of you for the help to date.

Colin

Hello Colin,
I have access to the 1881 Census Records and a quick check fails to reveal any address as Clayslaps Cottage in New Cumnock ( I noticed Andrew and Family at Bowes Cottage).

I did find a Claydine farm (which is a new name for me too) which appears to have been near Craigdullyeart and Grieve hill in the north east of the parish.

I think that the name Clayslaps is a genuine word, I am sure there is a Clayslaps Road in Fenwick , Kilmarnock. As I said it conjures up ideas of clay used in tile-making being slapped (beaten).
good luck with the search
bobby

Thanks again Bobby.
Looks like a bit more digging around to be done. In the 1881 census, the Andrew at Bowes is the son on Andrew and Anne who were at Bowes in 1841, and who were at Clayslaps Cottage in 1861. They both died in the 1870s and are buried at the old cemetery in New Cumnock.

If I get to the bottom of this puzzle, I will let you know.

Colin

Not sure if this could be connected or not but Clayslaps was also an area of Glasgow near the river Kelvin and Yorkhill. There were flour mills there for many years.

Could it possible that someone from this area moved to NC and named the cottage after clayslaps in Glasgow?

I believe there is still a Clayslaps Road in Glasgow to this day.

Where are you from ? Irvine via NC

Hello Colin, I'm not sure if I have already sent this information to you - so apologies if I have. The following extract appears in George Sanderson's book 'New Cumnock Far and Away'.

'As precentor (of the Reformed Prsbyterian Church) Andrew Beattie never missed a Sunday in thirty years. Andrew began his working life as a labourer but was soon a skilled mason to trade. Setting up his own business he built much of the town school, the town hall, Bank Church, as well as lots of houses. Hankering after a farming life he rented cattle to be a bower out Mansfield and with his brother prospered to become the tenant at the Old Mill farm. In time he was president of the farming society and always proud of his covenanting ancestors'.

If he is descended from Covenanting stock (the Reformed Prebyterian Church was also known as the Covenanters or Cameronian Kirk) then it suggests his family roots go back to south-west Scotland in the late 17th century!

hope this helps
bobby

P.S. I was at primary school (1965-1970)with Jean Beattie, whose family farmed at Muirfoot Farm at Pathhead on the Mansfield Road. I'm sure her young brother was called Andrew!

Hello Bobby
Thanks for your reply. This is new information to me and very interesting. I knew that Andrew and his bother John (my grandfather) were builders and farmers. Last year I picked up a copy of an old postcard (probably 100 years old) from Donald McIvor that was an advert for A & J Beattie, Farmers & Builders featuring Andrew and two women outside Mossmark of Old Mill Farm. Andrew moved to Black Craig Farm and John took over Old Mill, where my father was born. Andrew died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1916 and is buried in Afton cemetery in the next plot to John. Andrew and John's father also called Andrew was born in Rockcliffe, Cumberland in 1824, and their grandfather again Andrew was born in Cumberland around 1790. Their grandmother was born in Northumberland. It appears that the family moved to New Cumnock in the early 1830s from Cumberland, and during the 1800s lived at Bowes, Clayslaps Cottage, and Rigghead, Tarbolton. I assume that there must have been a family connection somewhere to bring them to Ayrshire, but I have not found it yet.
The Jean Beattie you mentioned I think may be living near Peebles now.
Keep in touch. If you ever find any other information on the Beattie family, let me know.
Cheers for now
Colin

Well, way down here, next door to the Antarctic, I have in front of me, one of Donald McIvor's books "A Stroll Through the Historic Past of New Cumnock".

At the bottom of Page 25, begins, in answer to various questions - "what about"

"The story of the cottage homes that were formerly on every farm in the parish".

"This will allude to the cottages that at one time would have stood on small farms in their own right. As farming expanded and was modernised, these small buildings were demolished and the land integrated into the fields of new larger farms. This of course, took place over a long period of time. An example of this was Bowhouse and Clayslaps on Mansfield."

I was just having another wee thumb through the book here tonight, and when I read that, I remembered having seen someone enquiring about Clayslaps on this forum. So, there it is, hope it's helpful, and thanks to Donald McIvor!
Regards
Jeanne Bell NZ
Researching Watson,Mason,Walker,McAughtrie, Houston,
Williamson, Ferguson, Cowan and more to come no doubt, all from New Cumnock and all whose blood runs in my veins!!!

Where are you from ? New Zealand

Thanks very much for the information Jeanne. I know where Bowhouse used to be and Mansfield is nearby, so Clayslaps cottage must have been a close neighbour to Bowhouse. Wonderful to know that my questions can be answered from so far away.
I think I will have to consider buying some of the books advertised on the New Cumnock website.

Kind regards

Colin

Hi Colin, yes, this internet is a pretty amazing tool. Whatever did we do without them?? I'm really glad to have been of help - this is a great site, has given me a wealth of info, made me new friends, who have put me in touch with family. It's been an amazing resource for me. So you see why I'm happy to pass on anything I have!! I think I've got all the books now (EXCEPT FOR George Sanderson's LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY which is proving very scarce these days - Anyone want to sell me one? ). Robert Hart's CD's have been great as well - found lots of great photos in there. Anyway, happy hunting! And if I come across aything else in the books I'll let you know. Regards Jeanne

Where are you from ? New Zealand

Hello Jeanne - good to hear from you again and well done in spotting the reference to Clayslaps in Donald's book .

p.s. I have a spare copy of George Sanderson's 'Long Ago and Far Away' and you are more than welcome to have it as a gift for all your great contributions to the forum. I'll be in touch for an address

bobby, when we moved into Mosswell cottage i can remember looking at the past owners of the land and there is mention of a Beattie having resided there ,i think around 1900s but if anyone is interested i will delve further -the owners before us were Mc Crorie

Where are you from ? Mosswell, new cumnock

Brian
Thanks for the message. I would be grateful for any information you have on the Beattie family residing at Mosswell Cottage. It is not an address I am familiar with.
Regards

Colin

Where are you from ? Yotkshire

Colin, thanks for your reply--Mosswell is a smallholding at the end of the old cemetery ,(up stamp brae,now called Castlehill) and Knockshinnoh ,and there is now a wildlife trust area known as Knockshinnoch lagoons. Will look into what records we have and post them as soon as possible-if you would like photos of the area I am on about ,i can do that as well if that would help..cheers brian

Where are you from ? Mosswell, new cumnock

Thanks again Brian. We have taken a lot of photos on our journeys through New Cumnock as we usually stop to pay respects at the cemeteries. The original couple are buried in the old cemetery along with their son and daughter-in-law. However any information you have on the family or their residence would be very welcome.
Colin

Where are you from ? Yotkshire

Re: Williamson and Ferguson Surname

Hi Jeanne,
Searching the website I noticed you are researching Williamson and Ferguson Names.
I am descended from the eldest of four Williamson brothers born in New Cumnock in the 1820's who migrated to Australia in the 1850's. One of the brothers married a Ferguson girl from Kirkoswald.
Would be interested to meet with you via the wonderful world of internet.
Regards
Bill Murcutt

Where are you from ? Victoria Australia

Hello,

I am descended from the Beattie family. My great-great grandmother was Anges Muir Beattie, daughter of Marion Muir and Andrew Beattie. I would love to see the old postcard of Mossmark of Old Mill that you describe. I am visiting Ayrshire at present and plan to visit Old Mill tomorrow.

Kind regards,
Rachael

Where are you from ? Angus