Satanta Regiment Forum

Welcome to the Forum. Got something to say, need to pass on information, have a question, want to make a recommendation. You are in the right spot. Move your mouse over the word POST and click. Type in your message..... OR click on an existing message and then click on REPLY.

Santanta Regiment Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
3/14th Soiux City IA

S-4 CWO 84 to 87. Ran into this site sitting in a chair LTC Ruchti refinished for me back then.

I, if any, an CWO Aviator, assigned to a FA Bn. My assignment, "Fix It".

Cdr's Archibald and Ruchti. Good people. Proud to serve with them. Can't forget Don Dwyer either.

I retired after injuries in 94 but still in Mpls, MN for know.

3/14th has records that no other FA BN has. I was there in Ft Carson when one was recorded. Of all rounds only one went out of safety.

Only one vehicle went down from our trip from Sioux City to FT Carson and back. Gamma-Goat it was a good it ideal to tow it. At Carson, a 2 1/2 needed a head change. Six weeks by base schedule, we did in 4 hours and told them to stay out of our way.

Other CWOs, Peterson, Johnson and I forget our Radar Warrant name. We had a PA warrant too for the BN Med section.

Thought I say Hi

Site is missing SOLDIER'S MAGAZINE COVER OF JULY 1986. ONLY THE 14TH ARTILLERY SITS ON TOP. Need a copy, asks.

Re: 3/14th Soiux City IA

Dan: I was the S-3 and X-O of the battalion when Arch and Ruchti were the commanders. There at Fort Carson also. Ruchti and I both live in Le Mars, Iowa as well as Tom Back, Gary Konz, Ron Harvey and Mike Sitzmann all former members as well.

Archibald lives at Runnells, Iowa just southeast of Altoona, Iowa, he is retired as well.

One of the unti members that may have been with us at that time a gentleman by the name of Steven Saunders, is now a Major General in the Iowa Guard.

We are planning a 3/14th Reunion here in Le Mars on July 28, 2007, will send you details later now that I have your address.

Keep in touch!

I remember you Jack. It's been a while.

I stumbled on to this site while thinking about Larry Ruchti. If you remember the curved desk I had in S-4, turns out it's a rare Leopold out of Burlingtion, IA and Larry had redone the chair that went with it. The desk and chair also have a history for it was Elmer L Anderson's while he was CEO at HB Fuller before he became Governor of Minnesota. Tried donating it to Hist Soc and got turned down so now try to sell them. Sold my house and need to let them go. Stories behind things are nice to pass along.

Never heard from WO Ron Lester after he left for Germany. Ran into others from the Bn up until I retired, mainly from the FIST team.

Keep me in mind for reunions. Best you use onthefaultline@earthlink.net to reach me. It's refererence is geological, a place I have in Canada.

Nice hearing from you again. Let others know I'm still alive in spite of myself.

Dan Haskins

"Iron Mike" Achibald, 3/14th FA

Jack

One thing I forgot to say was about LTC Mike Archibald.

We woke up and sat in a CP Command Post tent one morning after getting up and getting some coffee at Fort Ripley. No wake up call with a blank round in the Yukon stove.

He wiped his head and looked at me in the eyes, we were both RVN vets, and inquired if this was all necessary? (Training for an ARTEP). I could only tell him that is was our assigned mission to do. I'm a AF brat of SAC Commander, when told to turn the key, do it.

He cared more about the welfare of his troops than anything else. That done, getting the mission done was a no brainer.

Truly, I felt that he was the best commander I ever served in my career and in turn he respected the difficult duties I had serving under him.

Few could ever fill his shoes nor take care of his troops like he did under his command.

I miss the company of characters like "Iron Mike" and others.

CW4 Dan Haskins

Dan Haskins: Wanted to let you know we are having a 3/14th Reunion in Le Mars, Iowa at the Legion Hall on July 28, 2007 starting at 1300 hours lasting the afternoon and into the night?

Archibald, Ruchti, Davis, several others planning on coming. Let me know if you can make it!. Brand new Holdiday Inn Express here in Le Mars to stay if you want.

Jack

Re: 3/14th Soiux City IA Battalion Crest Change!!!

I don't know the rules of this but the 1/14th does not earn this crest, it is the the 3/14th.

It was FRONT AND CENTER on Soldiers Magazine July 1986 and no other crest was above her.

This followed a feat no other FA BN had done. Not to mention the transportation to Fort Collins and back and all the logistics.

If I'm out of the loop of changes, sorry. But a Bn Unit Crest is golden.

Somewhere in North America
CW4 Dan Haskins, USA Ret
612-616-4009