AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Conventional vs. primerless to glass urethane

2 cents...
Everybody's an expert, or thinks they are. If primerless urethane is so unfit, so unreliable, etc,. etc. then tell me this... why would manufacturers even produce the stuff? Most all urethane manufacturers do make it available. Come on guys, let's keep opinions and facts separated.
Well, thats a multi-part question. The reason they make it is because there is a segment of our industry that wants to pay $3 for adhesive. Ask a urethane mfr rep (unofficially) which they would use in their kids car. As far as the performance, take a look at the "charts"...now I know that we-uns cant be forced to actually do some research, but if you look at the overall performance, there is a difference. Also, if the product was good, why on earth wouldn't they use it on the assembly line....god knows how much you could save by eliminating an entire step. I know they don't use any of the products we use, but they certainly do not use a primerless one.

The original question was whether you could mix primer / adhesive, or if you really even needed to prime with a product that required it. You don't need to be an expert to answer that. No and Yes.

chemist (not)
2 cents...
Everybody\'s an expert, or thinks they are. If primerless urethane is so unfit, so unreliable, etc,. etc. then tell me this... why would manufacturers even produce the stuff? Most all urethane manufacturers do make it available. Come on guys, let\'s keep opinions and facts separated.
Well, thats a multi-part question. The reason they make it is because there is a segment of our industry that wants to pay $3 for adhesive. Ask a urethane mfr rep (unofficially) which they would use in their kids car. As far as the performance, take a look at the "charts"...now I know that we-uns cant be forced to actually do some research, but if you look at the overall performance, there is a difference. Also, if the product was good, why on earth wouldn't they use it on the assembly line....god knows how much you could save by eliminating an entire step. I know they don't use any of the products we use, but they certainly do not use a primerless one.

The original question was whether you could mix primer / adhesive, or if you really even needed to prime with a product that required it. You don't need to be an expert to answer that. No and Yes.
Correct.

I dunno, Freddy and chemist not. Think about this - why would a urethane manufacturer put themselves at the legal and monetary risk you both say is so certain? Especially for $3/tube urethane? Besides, most of the primerless I've seen costs more than non-primerless per tube. I don't use primerless myself, but still your arguements seem baseless to me.

Read the original post. The question was whether it’s ok to use regular, not primerless, urethane, without primer or with a primer from a different manufacturer. The answer is no and no.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com