AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
NAGS Number ID Problem

I apologize in advance if this has already been covered here on the forum.

Why can't or won't glass manufactures print the appropriate NAGS number on windshields during manufacture? Carlite/Ford does on many (not all) of theirs.

With some vehicles now having so many different available options for glass this would be a great aid for everybody involved!

Re: NAGS Number ID Problem

Nifty 10
I apologize in advance if this has already been covered here on the forum.

Why can't or won't glass manufactures print the appropriate NAGS number on windshields during manufacture? Carlite/Ford does on many (not all) of theirs.

With some vehicles now having so many different available options for glass this would be a great aid for everybody involved!
Nifty 10-- It is not the job of glass manufacturers to follow what NAGS is doing. It is the job of NAGS to follow what the glass and car manufacturers are doing.

NAGS business is to sell their method of numbering and cataloging auto glass parts. The glass manufacturing company does not have the need to purchase from NAGS the right to use their numbers. So they don't. Some manufacturers that cater to the aftermarket may decide to purchase the rights but most do not. OEs certainly don't see the need to add cost to the price of their glass parts and rarely add NAGS numbers to the part.

Bob Beranek
NAGS business is to sell their method of numbering and cataloging auto glass parts. The glass manufacturing company does not have the need to purchase from NAGS the right to use their numbers. So they don't. Some manufacturers that cater to the aftermarket may decide to purchase the rights but most do not. OEs certainly don't see the need to add cost to the price of their glass parts and rarely add NAGS numbers to the part.
I'm still trying to understand. After market windshields have NAGS # permanently printed on them, so I guess they pay for that?

Why can't the manufacturers part # be put on the glass? Then it could be easily cross referenced, thus eliminating confusion, returns, etc.

Surely there is SOME workable solution to this problem! This is about to drive us crazy!

What I'm hearing is that there is NO WAY to get NAGS, glass manufacturers, and/or automobile manufacturers to cooperate with each other for proper glass identification.

Even though it would be of great benefit not only to glass shops, but also all other involved parties in the auto glass industry. How sad for the entire industry!

We are our own worst enemy!

Satisfied
What I'm hearing is that there is NO WAY to get NAGS, glass manufacturers, and/or automobile manufacturers to cooperate with each other for proper glass identification.

Even though it would be of great benefit not only to glass shops, but also all other involved parties in the auto glass industry. How sad for the entire industry!

We are our own worst enemy!
Years ago I bought a Sears snow thrower. When I tried to change the oil, I almost wound up in traction. I asked a mechanic friend why a company would design a product that requires a contortionist to service it. He told me manufacturers only care about producing their products as cheaply as possible and couldn't care less about efficiencies or difficulties in their aftermarket servicing.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com