AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
What is Fair and Reasonable

I am starting to work on my own legal action to determine what fair and reasonable

market price is. How do I do the math on that.

I want to prepare as much as I can before going to see a Attorney to help me

get to the bottom of this and bill what is fair and reasonable so I make a profit.

It seems as though everyone would have a different business model with different costs

of doing business. Statefarm prices are much higher then Geico how do they determine

what is fair and reasonable every insurer is priced differently in the same market.

Any help would be great.

Re: What is Fair and Reasonable

It has nothing to do with what insurers are paying. What are shops in your area charging? There must be a range from high to low. Forget about your costs for a moment (not that your costs vs others isn't important) and ask what kind of service and quality you offer. Are you a hack? Then start at the low end. Do you provide superior service and quality? Do you use two techs instead of one? If you can prove your work superior, charge accordingly. What do other service companies charge for labor? Bike repair shops get better labor than insurance companies pay for crying out loud. What did you get paid 5, 10, 15 years ago? Why is it less now when all of your costs have gone up? use a common sense approach.

that you have to ask what is fair and reasonable
shows the problem.
Figure out what it is for you and don't look here for answers.
there are far to many agendas.

THE MARKET AVERAGE FOR CASH PRICING IS FAIR AND REASONABLE TO ANY HONEST CLEAR HEADED ENTITY OR INDIVIDUAL. SOME WILL SAY THAT PEOPLE DOING WORK AS "TAIL GATE" INSTALLERS ARE DRIVING THE F AND R DOWN. IN AN UN REGULATED INDUSTRY, THAT IS THE F AND R PRICE. REGULATE AND MAKE LICENSING MANDATORY IN YOUR INDUSTRY FOR IMPROVED SAFETY AND BETTER PRICE POINTS!!!!!

BOB
THE MARKET AVERAGE FOR CASH PRICING IS FAIR AND REASONABLE TO ANY HONEST CLEAR HEADED ENTITY OR INDIVIDUAL. SOME WILL SAY THAT PEOPLE DOING WORK AS \\\"TAIL GATE\\\" INSTALLERS ARE DRIVING THE F AND R DOWN. IN AN UN REGULATED INDUSTRY, THAT IS THE F AND R PRICE. REGULATE AND MAKE LICENSING MANDATORY IN YOUR INDUSTRY FOR IMPROVED SAFETY AND BETTER PRICE POINTS!!!!!
DEAR BOB, PLEASE EXCUSE MY "ALL CAPS", BUT YOU STARTED IT.

DO YOU REALLY THINK MORE REGULATION WILL HELP OUR SITUATION? OUR REGULATORS CAN'T OR WON'T ENFORCE THE LAW AS IT IS. CURRENTLY INSURERS ARE ALLOWED TO COLLUDE WITH TPA'S AND SERVICE PROVIDER/TPA'S SO THEY CAN STEAL FROM THE ACTUAL PROVIDER OF SERVICE THE RIGHT TO SET PRICES!

WINDSHIELD REPAIR PRICES ARE, IN MANY CASES, LESS THAN WHAT WAS OFFERED OVER TWENTY YEARS AGO. CARRIERS HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO SWITCH TPA'S IN FAVOR OF ONE THAT WILL ENFORCE LOWER PRICES THAN WHAT THEY HAD BEEN PAYING THE PREVIOUS TPA.

REPLACEMENT OFFERS HAVE BEEN PEGGED TO DEMANDS FOR DISCOUNTS OFF A "PROPRIETARY" BENCHMARK CREATED BY AN ENTITY THAT ISN'T EVEN A SERVICE PROVIDER. WHERE DOES IT SAY THAT AN INSURER DESERVES TO GET A DISCOUNT OR EVEN AN AVERAGE PRICE?

ARE ALL SERVICE PROVIDERS THE SAME? HOW ARE THE INSURERS DETERMINING THE SO CALLED AVERAGE CASH PRICE? IS IT THE SAME ALL OVER THE COUNTRY? WHO SAYS INSURERS ARE ONLY LIABLE FOR AN "AVERAGE" PRICE? SINCE AN AVERAGE IS DETERMINED BY THE SUM OF HIGH AND LOW PRICES DIVIDED BY THE TOTAL NUMBER OF PRICES IN THE SAMPLE, AT LEAST SOME OF THE PRICES ABOVE THE AVERAGE WERE ALSO FAIR AND REASONABLE!

WHAT YOU DESCRIBE AS A "TAIL GATE" INSTALLER MAY BE BETTER TRAINED AND MORE EXPERIENCED THAN INSTALLERS WORKING FOR THE MSO BIG BOX COMPANIES.

WHEN IT COMES TO AUTO GLASS REPAIRS AND REPLACEMENTS, INSURERS ARE USING TPA'S TO NOT ONLY ACHIEVE ECONOMIES OF SCALE TO SAVE MONEY ON COSTS TO ADMINISTER/SETTLE CLAIMS WHICH IS THE ONLY VALID PURPOSE FOR USING TPA'S, BUT THEY ALSO USE TPA'S, ESPECIALLY SERVICE PROVIDER/TPA'S, TO ARTIFICIALLY ESTABLISH AND CONTROL WHAT THEY PAY FOR SERVICES RENDERED TO THEIR POLICYHOLDERS. HOW IS IT POSSIBLE THAT AN INSURER HAS DETERMINED THAT IT IS FAIR TO PAY A FLAT RATE FOR A PRIMARY WINDSHIELD REPAIR WHICH IS THE SAME AMOUNT NATIONWIDE? HOW IS IT FAIR THAT THE SAME INSURER PAYS ZERO DOLLARS FOR ADDITIONAL REPAIRS?

REGULATORS NEED TO BAN THE USE OF A TPA FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN SAVING ADMINISTRATIVE COSTS. THEY NEED TO MAKE SURE THAT INSURERS HAVE NO UNDUE INFLUENCE IN DETERMINING REPAIR COSTS. THEY NEED TO MAKE SURE INSURERS ARE NOT COERCING SERVICE PROVIDERS TO JOIN TPA NETWORKS. THEY NEED TO MAKE SURE THAT INSURERS ARE NOT STEERING THEIR POLICYHOLDERS AWAY FROM FREELY CHOSEN SERVICE PROVIDERS THAT HAVE ELECTED NOT TO PARTICIPATE IN A NETWORK.

IF IT ISN'T ILLEGAL ALREADY, IT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL FOR AN INSURER TO INSIST THAT A SERVICE PROVIDER HAVE TO DEAL WITH A DIRECT COMPETITOR IN ANY WAY DURING THE CLAIMS SETTLEMENT PROCESS.

Poor Bob, he's so misled. His intentions are good, but he's been drinking the wrong Kool Aid. Hopefully he won't drink the Arizona Kool Aid either, where they're trying to use NAGS to limit pricing to a set discount from NAGS.

Apparently it hasn't yet dawned on them to take a look at who's been manipulating that database, what changes you see in it over time, and ask why you would want to handcuff yourself to a totally obfuscated database that is the epitome of the Colonel's Secret Recipe?

Hell, the folks in Indiana just kicked themselves in the teeth with their new anti steeriing law...which allows insurers to do just about anything they want. By the time they were done, they should have called the bill a Pro Steering, Pro Price cutting law.

When will we learn? One can only wonder.

Fair and reasonable has been defined as a range of pricing in a market AT LARGE. It does not mean an average price, it does not mean a mean price, it does not mean a high or low price. It's a RANGE of price, and it must depend on the level of TRUST one has EARNED from the CONSUMER, the entity CONTRACTING FOR THE REPAIRS TO THE PROPERTY. Just because one vendor may be on the high end, or even sets the highest end, of the range of pricing, does not mean that his/her pricing is NOT fair and reasonable. Calculate your price from your cost of doing business, and remember, you're not just in biz for a profit, you're in biz for a profit AND a RETURN ON INVESTMENT IN YOUR BUSINESS. (Who isn't?????? Answer me that question!)

JMHNLO

Mark1, if you have read any of my posts, you see that we went to the same school. Have a profitable week, my friend.

Mark and I also went to different schools together.

what is fair and reasonable should not be asked here.
Forum rules really say its not allowed. It is discussing price

what is fair and reasonable is for the person selling the goods and services to decide.

Does Kia decide how much Mercedes should sell cars for?. NO they don't.

Charge what you are worth and shut up about this topic

come on now
what is fair and reasonable should not be asked here.
Forum rules really say its not allowed. It is discussing price

what is fair and reasonable is for the person selling the goods and services to decide.

Does Kia decide how much Mercedes should sell cars for?. NO they don\'t.

Charge what you are worth and shut up about this topic

Do insurers tell service providers how much they can charge? YES they do! What happens when an auto glass service provider charges what is needed to keep the doors open? They get short paid with an explanation that they were paid what is fair and reasonable.

"come on now" this thread has not once mentioned a specific price. Read the "Corruption" thread to know why in our industry "what is fair and reasonable is for the person selling the goods and services to decide", does not apply.

Insurers in this country have been hiding behind the American System of Justice where each side must pay their own legal fees unless states like Florida pass legislation that makes the insurer pay their own fees as well as the plaintiffs if they lose in court.

As long as our state regulators and legislators turn a blind eye, we will be at a major disadvantage.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com