AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Texas Department of Insurance

FYI...to all Texas Vehicle Owners with Glass Coverage, it was brought to my attention that some insurance companies are telling their insureds that they have to call Safelite Glass for their repair or Replacement, if the insured refuses or request other shops to perform the work, the claim is held up for an adjuster. I contacted Texas Department of Insurance and this was their response..

your email was forwarded to me for response.

Texas insurance law addresses the repair of motor vehicles. Both the Insurance Code and administrative rule specifically describe that insurers cannot suggest, either orally or in writing, where a claimant can get the car repaired.

If that person's insurer, All insurance companies, has represented that there will be a delay if she or he doesn't go with Safelite, she should file a complaint with our Consumer Protection Division at: http://www.tdi.texas.gov/consumer/complfrm.html

The insurer may be delaying prompt payment and settlement of the claim, in violation of Texas insurance law.

A link to the Repair of Motor Vehicle regulations, in the Insurance Code and Administrative Code, are provided below:

Subchapter G, Texas Insurance Code, Repair of Motor Vehicle: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/IN/htm/IN.1952.htm

Title 28, Texas Administrative Code, Section 5.501: https://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tloc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=28&pt=1&ch=5&rl=501

Thank you for the opportunity to assist.

Re: Texas Department of Insurance

Now, be sure you follow up, repeatedly, and if you're told that "only consumer's can file complaints" demand to know where it says that in the statutes or regulations.

Some DOIs paint a pretty face, but don't really want to handle complaints past the warm n fuzzy handoff, so be prepared for molasses in January slowness, and apathy.

Texas DOI's track record isn't that great on this stuff. Better than some states though, IMHO.

Finally, be sure to DOCUMENT their actions, and possibly LACK there of. Remember, your DOI is your ONLY recourse for law enforcement. If they don't act, well, just document everything, we'll talk about the rest later.

JMHNLO

Re: Texas Department of Insurance

John, I'd like to discuss this further with you if you could send me an email at kcoig@glass.com, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com