AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Does this answer anything?

Auto Glass Week™ Tackles ADAS
October 5, 2017 by Jordan Scott
jscott@glass.com

["Doug Clarke, owner and operator of The Pit Stop Automotive Center, told the summit that he has learned many of the pitfalls that come with auto glass repair and replacement of vehicles equipped with ADAS.

Advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS) are changing the game for those repairing and replacing auto glass.

At Auto Glass Week, the industry got together to answer some of the big questions concerning ADAS recalibration.

The Auto Glass Safety Council™’s (AGSC) Automotive Glass Replacement Safety Standard (AGRSS™) committee meeting addressed the language being used in their current standard. The committee discussed the benefits of broad versus specific language.

The meeting was followed by the ADAS Summit. Gary Hart, executive director of the Independent Glass Association, gave a presentation about navigating the future of ADAS in automotive glass repair and replacement.

Insurance Institute for Highway Safety senior test coordinator Sean O’Malley went over the effects of ADAS on the ability to repair and replace glass.

“Windshields are costing more to replace. ADAS is the reason behind that,” said O’Malley. “We did a study of eight different vehicles comparing OE versus aftermarket glass. We found that regardless of pre- or post-calibration it didn’t really matter until we got to a Honda Civic. The aftermarket camera fit a little loose. It’s collision warning and lane departure warning was degraded. However, when taken to a dealer and calibrated it worked. This was after The dealer was trained on how to do it. Everyone is catching up.”

Joanne Feibel, senior marketing manager for Pilkington North America/NSG, highlighted the benefits of the company’s Opti-Aim tool. The calibration tool comes in three kit sizes with targets and calibration information.

A big takeaway for many attendees was learning that an ADAS system could still recalibrate if it’s slightly off-target, which puts the driver at risk.

The next ADAS summit seminar focused on finding ADAS information. Both Jason Bartanen, director of industry technical relations at I-CAR, and AGSC AGRSS Standards Committee chair Bob Beranek addressed the topic.

“I spent eight hours figuring out Ford 150 calibration info. With the I-CAR website, you don’t have to spend your time finding all of this information,” said Bartanen.

Glasspro president Paul Heinauer emphasized the importance of being an early adopter of ADAS recalibration in a session on the practical aspects of handling ADAS.

“We want to control the process rather than react. We want to be a source of customer answers. And we don’t want to be at the mercy of dealers or at a disadvantage compared to our competitors,” he said.

Doug Clarke, owner and operator of The Pit Stop Automotive Center, told the summit that he has learned many of the pitfalls that come with auto glass repair and replacement of vehicles equipped with ADAS.

“I couldn’t calibrate a vehicle and I eventually found out that the target was upside down. We’re feeling our way through this process. Info is scarce as an early adopter. If you’re dependent on others you might lag behind,” said Clarke.

The ADAS summit was of great interest to attendees. Approximately 800 people attended."]

What exactly does this tackle? I dont see any definitive answers to any of the questions regarding ADAS procedures. Why are they testing aftermarket windshields for Hondas if Honda REQUIRES oem? No offense to the writer but this seems to me an article void of meaning.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com