AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
ADAS LETTER

I am considering giving a written notice to vehicle owners whose vehicle has an ADAS. Here is a copy of what I'm thinking of.

Any comments, or better letters, will be appreciated

Your vehicle is equipped with an Automatic Driver Assist System
(ADAS) which uses a camera that looks at the road through the windshield.

After a windshield is replaced, the ADAS must be re-calibrated for your safety, and to maintain your manufacturer's warranty.

To do this properly, the vehicle must be brought back to the dealer for
re-calibration.

We are aware that there are aftermarket systems available for the re-calibration, but we are not sure if the dealer organization will accept this for warranty purposes.

If the windshield is being paid for by your insurance company, they will usually pay for the re-calibration, but you will have to pay the dealer and send the bill to your insurance company for reimbursement.

Please have this taken care of as soon as possible.

Re: ADAS LETTER

Don't know if that lets you off the hook should there be a defect and an accident occurs. May even plant the seed that if an accident happens to come after you.
JMO

Consider mentioning that the "dealer recalibration" systems are proprietary.

You already are mentioning that it may effect any OEM warranty from the car mfg, and they, the dealers, certainly aren't hesitant to point that out either, according to several reports from shops trying to do the "right thing".

Of course, as has been mentioned, those reports surround not only the issue of dealer recalibration, but dealers refusing to recalibrate unless an OEM part is installed. I can see their point from one side (the OEM), but also see the point from the shop's side, and further still, can also see the point from the consumer's side.

This mine field has yet to be navigated.

OF COURSE, all of the above is, as always, Just My Honest NON LEGAL Opinion.

More interesting still, is reading what some lawyers have written for their glass shop clients on this exact subject. Everyone but the lawyers need both a regular, and legal dictionary, and then some, not to mention much bigger, or more pages, to an invoice, to print it on for the customer's signature.

Myself, personally, I find it extremely difficult to believe that the systems can really be so sensitive to a WS change, but can account for all the issues of normal driving with conditions of weather, bugs, uneven passenger and load weights, towing (bumper) weights, ect ect. If the glass is clear enough to see through, (yet bugs, snow, rain, ice, don't bother it???), then a WS replacement shouldn't be a problem either. But this is old, "common sense" thinking, and you know what that gets you in a digital age: not much.

JMHNLO

Mark1

Thanks for your comments.

My concern is 2-fold

1. protecting my customers

2. covering my A** ( actually, that might be # 1)

I can see some lawyer finding that an aftermarket glass calibrated by a 3rd party system would be fertile grounds for a lawsuit.

Taking your advice, I have added to my letter. See below -

Your vehicle is equipped with an Automatic Driver Assist System
(ADAS) which uses a camera that looks at the road through the windshield.

After a windshield is replaced, the ADAS must be re-calibrated for your safety, and to maintain your vehicle's manufacturer's warranty.

To do this properly, the vehicle must be brought back to the dealer for re-calibration.

We are aware that there are aftermarket systems available for the
re-calibration, but we are not sure if the dealer organization will accept this for warranty purposes since the dealer's systems are proprietary to them and the aftermarket systems might not be as thorough.

If the windshield is being paid for by your insurance company, they will usually pay for the re-calibration, but you will have to pay the dealer and send the bill to your insurance company for reimbursement.

Please have this taken care of as soon as possible for your driving safety.

you have to let them know that they can not use the system and rely on it for safety and function until a recal is done.

yu
you have to let them know that they can not use the system and rely on it for safety and function until a recal is done.

The auto manufacturers don't even tell car owners they can rely on ADAS for safety. If you're going to write a letter you should include the same type of language the car manufacturers use in their brochures....

My post from another thread:

Every car brochure for every single vehicle I've researched ALWAYS, without exception, has a disclaimer that basically states that ADAS technology is not a substitute for the driver. So WHY would an *aftermarket* auto glass shop be held to a higher standard than the OEM of said vehicle???

a few quick examples....

2017 NISSAN MAXIMA
Blind Spot Warning is not a substitute for proper lane change procedures. The system will not prevent contact with other vehicles or accidents. It may not detect every vehicle or object around you. 5 Not a substitute for proper backing procedures. May not detect all moving vehicles. Speed and other limitations apply. See Owner’s Manual for details.

2016 CADILLAC SRX
1. Before making a lane change, always check the Side Blind Zone Alert display, check the exterior and interior rearview mirrors, look over your shoulder for vehicle and hazards and
start the turn signal

2016 MERCEDES SPRINTER
Lane Keeping Assist may be insufficient to alert a fatigued or distracted driver of lane drift and cannot be relied on to avoid an accident or serious injury.

WHen vehicle manufacturers start promising "Driver Protection" vs. "Driver Assistance", then we can start worrying about liability. So why fret over such nonsense when THEY don't even guarantee accident free driving with original equipment ADAS when the vehicle is driven off the dealer's parking lot?

Anytime you replace a w/s you become liable for anything that goes wrong with the car. Just ask the dealer 😂. In a justice system where people are awarded $$ for spilling "too hot coffee" in their laps or putting cruise control on & leaving drivers seat to use bathroom in back of RV, what chance do you have?
I would use OEM glass on high tech w/s and have dealer calibration done. I would keep this documentation along with materials used in a file. Either this or keep really high liability insurance in place.
I wouldn't plant the seed that maybe I did something wrong to the car with a letter.

JMO

hey Sglass
Michael J Ruscillo

Middle Island, NY

yes happily retired from the insanity of Auto Glass replacement industry.
Owned and operated a successful business for 40 years.
Board of Director of Long Island Glass Assoc.
Board of Director Holbrook Chamber of Commerce
Now tell me who you are?
Maybe we can do lunch together

I hang one on any car that must be calibrated

A Misaligned camera unit can cause improper operation of foreword collision warning and lane departure warning.
Have an authorized dealer calibrate the FCW/ LDW camera unit after the windshield, driver camera has been replaced.

The best way to protect yourself and your customers is to calibrate the vehicle yourself.

By not calibrating yourself your are creating and environment of risk for both of you.

That, of course, would be providing that you find a calibration system that has access to the OEM calibration parameters. To date, no one has shown that they have that OEM data, that I can confirm.

Until then, what parameters did he whom calibrated, use, when they calibrated?

That's been my question from the start, and still is. So far, anyone supplying the tech, or doing it, is mum when asked. Oh, to be sure, fine company names like Pilk and Bosch pop up, but OEM proprietary specs? Not yet.

I believe this is a big part of "protecting" one's self.

JMHNLO

Safelite has been using a letter like this for a couple of years now

I am awaiting a reply from Pilkington on their system, $14k and also waiting to hear from a couple places that sell OTC products to see if they can sell their encore system and pricing. I found a company in the UK but they don't seem to have any coverage in the us. Snapon man is checking to see if they have anything in the pipe line.

He had said there was a right to repair act that went into effect last year that requires oems to share information (for a price) with other repair companies, for programming etc. He had mentioned that for reprogramming a computer sometimes there might be a fee to download the program per car. This might be why the cost of the pilkington version is so high.

One thing nice if the encore OTC system is viable, the encore comes equipped with all wiring diagrams and the ability to program switches and such. I have run into some newer cars I can not do any diagnosis on their widow motor issues with out a computer.

I'm in Houlton, Maine, one man shop for the last 21 years.

Scott

Just got off the phone with someone at OTC. Not available right now. It has been used in europe. For now, safelite is doing a beta test with them. He didn't say how many units or for how long it has been going on.

He did mention, in regards to Pilkington that they had been in negotion of some kind to use OTC but didn't in the end. I had mentioned to him that Pilkington had mentioned a warrentee only on pilkington or oem glass. He in testing ran into a honda that could not be recalibrated, had a pilkington glass in it. They changed it out for a Honda window and it calibrated. That was with the OTC system.

I'll keep posting my findings here. If anyone has a better forum, please let me know.

thanks
scott

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com