AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Pilkington Service Center closures

Rumor is that Pilkington is closing a few more locations and with the intent of closing a few more. Does anyone know which locations are done and which locations are on the chopping block?

Re: Pilkington Service Center closures

Texarkana in Texas/Arkansas will be closed for good on the 28th.

We hear Safelite/Service to occupy Texarkana facility

surprised they didn't just give the key to the door to mygrant or somebody else. with glass shop bailing on auto and focusing more on flat wouldn't be surprised more do the same in other parts of the country.

Speedy auto glass is also shutting down there Trans America glass w****houses. Change is coming in all areas of the corp world. Not profitable means not keeping doors open! Speedy glass will be the next chain to go bye bye

Pilkington must waste $5 ba-jillion a year on paper. If they joined the 21st century, (reference Mygrant w/email shipping documents = my cost for paper, not thiers, Invoices 2x on a combined EMAILED statement vs. mailed invoices for each and every single order (YIKES $$$postage and MORE paper!!!). Every order I make there's at least 4 pieces of paper printed @ Pilk. So inefficient, wasteful and costly.

A while ago, when said they were going to update their software I thought, HOORAY, it's going to be more efficient, like Mygrant!!! Sadly, efficiency declined. But Pilk got more reporting capabilities out of it. I guess that's something. (not really...unless you run Pilk, then you can more easily monitor your excessive expenses vs. sales)

Oh...same for PGW.. very inefficient.

Pilkington is closing it's Memphis warehouse for good on Friday July 28th.

"Forever" = Until someone looks at a map in 5 years and says "Hey, why don't we have a branch in Memphis?"...

...source - the last 20 years of Pilk branch openings and closings

Understand Little Rock is not doing well at all either. Survived this round of cuts, but I don't think it is long for the future. It sure looks like we are unwinding our un-competitive wholesale business and heading to becoming a truckload only company. It's a shame that they have let the current non-management team get away with destroying this once great company.

I've been in the business over 30 years and LOF/Pilk branch and TL operations have always been goofy. Sometimes pretty effective, but always goofy.

Cleveland closing Friday!

Randolph MA ... Burlington VT.. Clifton NJ

Cleveland is one of eight.

Dallas, TX and Oklahoma City, OK are 2 of the rest.

blah blah blah
Pilkington must waste $5 ba-jillion a year on paper. If they joined the 21st century, (reference Mygrant w/email shipping documents = my cost for paper, not thiers, Invoices 2x on a combined EMAILED statement vs. mailed invoices for each and every single order (YIKES $$$postage and MORE paper!!!). Every order I make there's at least 4 pieces of paper printed @ Pilk. So inefficient, wasteful and costly.

A while ago, when said they were going to update their software I thought, HOORAY, it's going to be more efficient, like Mygrant!!! Sadly, efficiency declined. But Pilk got more reporting capabilities out of it. I guess that's something. (not really...unless you run Pilk, then you can more easily monitor your excessive expenses vs. sales)

Oh...same for PGW.. very inefficient.

what about the fact that mygrant had to reduce their runs due to their "Technology"

I heard La, Houston , Detroit, Lansing , St. Louis, San Francisco, Gullible, Pittsburgh, Spokane , Mobile, Montgomery, Jackson, Baton Rouge, Columbia, Charlotte, Nashville, gullible, Memphis, gullible, Indianapolis, Wichita

pgw is do the same thing its a dead industry

Ct. glass shop:
You had better do a fact check.
FACT: PGW is expanding. Pay your bill, your a disgruntled former customer.

Which runs?

I was told due to there bar code system that it increased the time of the run so much that they had to reduce the amount of runs in order to accommodate the extra time taken with the system. Perhaps hearsay don't think so, now with that being said My shop did not have a reduction or if we did I have no clue we are so close mainly only get a night run.

They just moved the Saint Louis warehouse... so unless mygrant is going to swoop in and take over that branch I would find that to be highly unlikely that it would happen.

BUT you never know, Columbia SC warehouse is super tiny , I can see that happening...

Never been in the Charlotte branch of Pilk, they cover 1/2 of my area, the other 1/2 is covered by Raleigh... it's nice being so close to the dividing line... Do not buy too much from them but when I have, had no issues..

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com