AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Large Corporations Taking Short Cuts

It's no surprise, but interesting none the less.

This Australian Corporation is a self elected Messiah of motoring. When ever there is a News Story about motoring these guys pop up with there useless generic advice. The News these days serves merely as a public relations service for corporations who pay them royalties.

Anyway, I stumbled over this footage that a random chap had posted on his FaceBook of his Windscreen being installed. He has no idea his install is being short cut and its likely the technician feels the same too.

By performing simple searches on Facebook I have be able to recover images from random people and believe it or not business, posting images of windscreens being short cut. Thats correct, business too. They broadcast their installations publicly and forget they are taking short cuts.

Just for the record, not removing the Cowl Panel is a short cut that could compromise the bonding of the Windscreen to the vehicle body. If practised it could render the use of a passenger air bag useless and put a life at risk. Most of us know this, some are wilfully ignorant, others simply have no ethics.

In any event here is the footage and its interesting to point out to those who don't know. This Australian Corporation is not only a Nation Corporation, but a major Insurance Group too. Yes, insurance groups in Australia are installing their own windscreens with their own networks.

In an age where everyone has a camera in their pocket and a live broadcasting connection, we are all under the spotlight 24/7.

https://www.facebook.com/pfeifferangellisantos.laranang/videos/pcb.245509455880566/245508935880618/?type=3&theater

Re: Large Corporations Taking Short Cuts

they'll fake it till they make it,sub when they can, print their own money, dominate the "press", brainwash the consumer, fake it till they make it, sub when they can, print their own money,etc...until ...

Not one comment left on the facebook page in regards to the stuffing affect? Seems like 440 people think its okay then? Maybe a comment left would point the customer in the right direction of what to look out for next time they have a glass installed.

If you know how to do it correctly, not removing the cowl is the way!
Especially if the vehicle is seven years or older.We don't remove any
cowls or wipers we don"t have too. Less chance of breakage,scratching,
cracking etc...

That's beyond sad.

tater I hope you are kidding
if not again as someone else said... sad.. very sad

You have got to be kidding me you can't find 3 min to remove the cowl and wipers. That's right 3 min maybe you should charge 50¢ more and then you could afford to remove them.

We don't remove any cowls that don't have too dw1217'
.s1341's1658's1505's1504's,1226's etc... 3997 jobs invoiced
last year, 46 warranties. Eight were air leaks on the bottom.
So you tell me ? I've been doing this since 1976. I can still
install 11 or 12 jobs per day if I want, but i don't.I'm in
the office in the mornings.Then, I'm fishing and golfing and
at the baseball field. Keep on breaking and scratching them cowls.
We're going to be competitive, make money,while providing
excellent customer service and top quality! We are not even close
to being the cheapest in our market.

i know as a f itterr i have shortcut. This is a "learn on the job" sort of industry so if its how you are shown, then its how you fit. It took me years to get my head around the bigger picture of our industry and through self research, try to hold to the highest standard i can. Now this has caused me to come into conflict many many times with employers.
My question is, at what point did you start to hold to the higher standard ?
Ive watched your news show in the past and agree totally with the standard of installation you refer to. But have you always f itted like this? Is there better training methods in Australia?

witness
i know as a f itterr i have shortcut. This is a "learn on the job" sort of industry so if its how you are shown, then its how you fit. It took me years to get my head around the bigger picture of our industry and through self research, try to hold to the highest standard i can. Now this has caused me to come into conflict many many times with employers.
My question is, at what point did you start to hold to the higher standard ?
Ive watched your news show in the past and agree totally with the standard of installation you refer to. But have you always f itted like this? Is there better training methods in Australia?

Thanks for the comment. I would like to first point out that I would usually not reply directly to an anonymous person since I like to know who I am addressing. However, I think this is an interesting point you raise. So I will post a reply regardless.

When I first started out, I too like yourself used short methods for a while, such was the culture at the time and I did not know any better.

I worked for a global organisation that in the early days were very good to me for most of my 10 years service. We had the latest equipment and the word from Senior Management was for quality and for a while I believed it.

During most of my time with this organisation wages were productivity driven for technicians and the more you installed the more handsome you were paid. The system was simple in that, each job over say 30 installs, were rewarded by a small $$ bonus per job. A higher rate for 35+ and more for 40+. I can't remember the exact numbers, it was a long time ago.

This is were I believe quality is sacrificed. I personally don't believe quality and productivity go together, you either desire one or the other. Im not going to get into a debate about this, it's just what I believe to be so. Some people believe there is an invisible man in the sky, I do not, each to their own.

During my time with this group, technicians were installing 8/10 jobs in an 8 hour day and management were turning a blind eye, so long as numbers were on the up. This was because management performance was too benched by the strength of the KPI Report.

If we do the math together, we should agree theses numbers are not possible unless you short cut. As technicians if we use all the equipment provided. Lifting devices, roll out tools and remove cowls etc, then you could expect each job to take appox one hour. Perhaps some more/less, give or take 10 minutes. If we take into account travel time for 8/10 appointments, an hour for lunch, the numbers simply don't add up. Something has to be skipped.

Understand that Productivity is a word used by management, not technicians. Managers ride on the backs of those who do the physical labour, their job depends on it. If you have a top heavy organisation then more donkeys or more productivity is required to perform the work. I believe this organisation was and is still is top heavy, far too many chiefs.

I started Service 8® 11 years ago with the philosophy to build a local company that could outperform any other for quality and service, size was unimportant to me. Also, im not trying to make out here that I/we are superior, or above others, it's just most others seemed incapable of delivering quality, or service.

Many single operators have no insurance, use untested adhesives, pay no tax, take short cuts, wear foottball shirts and flip flops for work and who knows what else. That said, im not in the agreeance of the rise of these Auto Glass Councils and Associations, who claim with their assistance they will clean this mess up. I consider these kinds of groups to be corruptible by sponsorship, so I don't seek their guidance to find a solution.

You need only visit the Cancer Councils Website to discover they are actively promoting the consumption of Processed and Red Meats, a Class 1 and 2 Carcinogen according to the World Health Organisation. Class 1 being in the same group as Smoking, Asbestos and Plutonium. If you dig around a little, you also learn this group takes money from the Meat Industry as a sponsor. For the most part, these groups look after themselves only too well and I don't trust them.

Like these groups, but on a smaller scale, I believe you could be caught up in the hierarchy of the business in which you work. You sound like you are trying to be ethical and do the right thing, but are coming under pressure from the higher echelons to do as your told and get the job done. This happens very often in business and it is only resolved by you. Even as a small business owner in this industry you are put under these kinds of pressures from insurance groups etc. Probably why most of the forum uses an anonymous name for fear of consequences.

I guess it comes down to two options, you either search for another company with an ethical culture, or find a new career were you will be not put under pressure to perform unethical acts for money.

You are not alone, many people go to work and are forced perform unethical acts for money. You have probably met these people, they are ones who tell you they are "just doing their job". Your ethics are for sale in return for money and its been like this for a long time. That said, people are not forced, they have a choice. Just like in our industry, we have a choice.

I am embarrassed to point out that 50 years ago it was an offence for black skinned people to sit at the front of a bus. They had to use their own bathrooms and had their own seating sections in restaurants (no mixing with the white folks). Failing to comply would put them at risk of being arrested, or locked up. An absolute disgrace. I guess the Police back then would simply say "just doing my job". Right?. Where you draw the line is your decision.

Personally, im not so obedient. I try to do whats right to the best of my ability and refuse to perform unethical acts for money and especially when forced by an invisible hand. But again, each to their own...

well said.

Nicely said Service 8. It's a tough job out there for those that want to take the time and do what's right. I've had 20 years of take your time and do it right.... as long as you can do it in 30 mins. While not every company I've worked for has been that way, many have.

Currently I'm in a situation where I'm constantly told to take my time but hurry up. What I'm working on right now isn't the easiest to get done fast. It's not hard, but it takes time. Add to that, my personal situation that will require me to move to another state in a couple of months. That means finding another job with another company. No idea what I might be getting myself into. I tell them what to honestly expect from me and they say "Great". A month later it's more, more, more. You're working too slow. Here's your 8 and there may be add-on's or everything is a 1 man job.

It only takes about 30 mins to do an average job ! 10 min to
cut it out,10 to strip,prime and prep the glass.10 min to run glue
and set. We have eight installers,we expect 32 jobs in 40 hours a week.
We only cover about a 40 mile radius.If they consistently fall below 30
they lose the privilege (that's right I said privilege) to drive the
company truck home. Sometime we don't pull those #'s cause of sagging sales,
that is not their responsibility.

And what was the name of your business again...? Just for the record.

tater

I'd rather work at McDonalds than for this guy.

I would rather be a Walmart greeter.

If you can't do more than six a day you should be a Walmart greeter !!!

tater

Do you used to go by the screen name XS? sure sounds like him and his company motto. Not that is a bad thing.

Most of these self claim auto glass gods short cut their butts off camera and try to look professional on here.

Service 8® Auto Glass
the KPI Report.

Those letter used tells me exactly you worked for Slavelite. The biggest dirtbag company in the world

Junior
I would rather be a Walmart greeter.

With the technical installations questions you ask on here. You should be. You have very little mechanical skill. A greeter is rite up your alley son

Moeman
tater
I'd rather work at McDonalds than for this guy.

Says a member of the 3 stoogies

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com