AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
2016 F150 Pinchweld Prep

I'm just wondering if anybody has replaced either a windshield or a backglass on the 2016 F150? if so, what precautions do we need to take when prepping the all aluminum pinchweld? Also, I'm hearing that we need to use a special urethane because of electrolysis. Is their any truth to this????

Re: 2016 F150 Pinchweld Prep

as long as you don't damage the pinchweld no extra precautions are necessary. I highly recommend a fiber cord to cut these out, and careful use of a BTB scraper to trim as they are designed not to damage paint. as far as a urethane just make sure you are using a high modulus AND non conductive product and you will be fine. I suggest Sika Mach 60 or Mach 30 and new 207 primer. if your a dow guy then use Dow One. just remember that once the paint and primer is gone the liability goes on whoever caused the problem....

If you are using a repeatable/tested adhesive then you should read the product data sheet (PDS) to start off, every adhesive has different characteristics. Also I would be speaking direct with the technical department or sales representative in your area/country.

If your regular product does not come with a PDS, or the company is faceless, then you may want to consider a different product if job quality and safety is of high priority to your business.

Personally we use Sika Drive. It is very versatile for a variety of situations/vehicles and works well when electronics/antennas/de-misters are attached to windscreen. Depending if the pinchweld is bare, freshly painted, or if you are trimming existing adhesive off, then your approach/preparation will differ.

Being aluminium its paramount you don't scratch the pinchweld on removal, use a roll out type tool with spectra line or like. Despite what many think, painting a scratch with some primer is not a suitable remedy for damage.

Every auto glass business should be working closely with their adhesive supplier. For me, these are the fundamentals of job quality, not the Windscreen Olympics or whatever marketing idea the industry musters up next.

Michael Smedley
Service 8® Auto Glass

Dow supplies 100% of the factory adhesive for the 2015-2016 F150. They put out a info bulletin on this very topic. Contact your local rep for a copy or let me know your service area and I can forward you his info. Here's the skinny on what you'll find. Apply 2 coats of their primer 5504G following dry time recommendations to any exposed bare metal areas. This will create the necessary barrier between the exposed aluminum and urethane to prevent corrosion; in other words you do nothing different than you would on a steel install.

All of the ones I've done, I've primed the body as I would any vehicle trying not to damage it in the first place. The only urethane I've used is Dow's new U-400HMNC. I like it for it's non conductive properties.

So many different opinions. Good, clear instructions from an qualified industry professional would be so nice.

Great to see the responses recommending non-metalic removal proceedures for this vehicle. Just to up the ante a bit, over 30% of current models have aluminum in the vehicle frame, not just the new F150 and more are on the way.

Secondly, I think our "leaders" have been selling us a bill of goods in that it is ok to scratch the paint and apply the current formula of primers to repair. Has anyone seen any testing of these primers compared to the OEM E coat protection?

Aluminum is harder to repair and more expensive because of the paint system, no damage should be the rule, not the exception in my opinion. Stuff happens but our world revolves around how fast it can be done (Olympics is one example of this) and speed causes damage.

Look at how many jobs the Safelite people are required to do in a day AND why they use the system they do.

Your liability for your customer's car will end when you return it undamaged and restored to OEM condition with the correct adhesive used.

Use the BTB Scrapers, they are designed for this operation.

Still... no clarity on this.

I've reached out to three Carlite reps, no response.

http://carlite.com/contact-us/

Again; Dow supplies 100% of the factory adhesive for the 2015-2016 F150. They put out a very detailed bulletin that will answer all of your questions. Contact your local Dow representative for a copy.

They got back to me, "ask Bob".

Hi All,
Ol' Timer is right. There is a bulletin out on this very subject by Dow the OE supplier. Here are the instructions written by Dow at this site,

http://info.autoglassinsider.com/blog/aluminum-ford-f-150-auto-glass-bonded-with-betaseal-adhesive-from-dow.

How to Prime the Aluminum 2015 Ford F-150 Pinchweld

- Shake BETAPRIMETM 5504G All-in-One Primer for 30 seconds after mixing balls start to rattle
- Open the bottle carefully and insert a clean, unused dauber; to avoid spilling, never pour liquid on dauber
- Apply first coat of BETAPRIMETM 5504G with a clean wool dauber on any exposed bare surface
- Allow primer to dry for 2 minutes at 20 ̊F (-7 ̊C) and above and from 20 ̊F (-7 ̊C) down to 0 ̊F (-18 ̊C) allow primer to dry for 10 minutes
- Apply second coat of BETAPRIMETM 5504G with a clean wool dauber on any exposed bare surface and allow to dry
- Replace inner seal and cap on bottle immediately.

*Information transcribed from Dow Automotive Systems 10 point Auto Glass Installation Instructions.

Jeff Martineau

860-573-4187

Dow Automotive Systems

Jeff Martineau services the following territory: Washington DC, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, Eastern Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine.

With that being settled, I would also like to agree with Rick Nelson on his no damage goal. We should all try to remove the glass and prep the pinchweld with no damage. However, I also know that replacing another technician's job can create problems when it comes to removing the prior adhesive and prepping the pinchweld without doing some damage and proper preparation is key. So, we should all know what to do when the damage occurs.

I do take exception to Rick's comment about the Olympics however. We give the technicians 90 minutes to remove and install windshields and/or back glasses and time is not used as a judging item unless there is a tie in points. We make it very clear that time is not the point of the Olympics and quality is of the utmost importance.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com