AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Bus windows

Does anyone know what is required for the side glass used in school buses. These windows are tempered but I'm wondering if it is required to use AS2 tempered or is it ok to use regular architectural tempered units. My supplier does not know what is required for bus windows but has informed me that they are not certified for automotive tempering.

Re: Bus windows

Buses can use As1, as2, and behind the driver as3. Tempered or laminated. As1 laminate w/s's as2/3 side and rear areas. As3 is deep tint. All tempering be it auto or architectural is done on the same equipment there are no two different lines for these they're all the same process. Auto glass distributors usually sell etching kits to put logos on glass.

Just to be clear, The insulated units behind the driver do not need to be stamped AS2 or AS3 since all tempered is made on the same line. Do you by chance know the ANSI standard that covers this application?

I appreciate the feedback, I just want to make sure I'm not selling a product that doesn't meet the requirements for replacement units.

Thanks.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/fmvss/index.html#SN205

Joe,

As I recall when I studied the specs, the requirement for an AS-2 rating for tempered glass, requires that no piece of the broken glass be over a certain weight ( I think it was .015 ounces).

Architectural tempered does not have such a strict requirement for breakage size and so, if the glass is not stenciled AS-2, it would not be legal in a school bus.

As far as laminated glass is concerned, the plastic interlayer used in AS-1 or AS-2 applications has a higher moisture content than the interlayer used for construction, to allow for the glass to break over a wider area in case of impact and give a greater cushioning effect.

It is my understanding that glass marked AS-1 or AS-2 would meet the requirements for construction, but not the other way around.

JMHO

Thanks for the feedback. My concerns were with the tempered requirements with the insulated units. After more research I came to the same conclusion you did, if it's not stamped AS1, AS2, or AS3 it can't be used in a bus.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com