AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Sika Mach30 Mach60

Just wondering if your using this products are you having any troubles?

Re: Sika Mach30 Mach60

If you are having problems, shouldn't you call Sika first?

and what do you think the answer would be?

We all know that the manufacturer would be the first to let us know if there were a problem. Right.

What might be the problem you are having??

Switched to the Mach 60 from Cool the moment it came out. We had a couple of instances where the bond broke loose from the glass. After that we started using the Sika Scrubs to clean the frit prior to application of the Aktivator and are no longer experiencing any bonding problems. As far as I am concerned the product is a great urethane.

try using a scotch bright pad to scuff the window frit. more cost effective. best chance for proper adhesion.

The problem with the plastic abrasives is the possibility of taking off too much frit. The frit is to protect the urethane from ultraviolet light and the plastic abrasives can take too much of the frit off the glass if used incorrectly.

35 plus years and you only just started scrubbing the frit?
Really?

Bob Beranek
The problem with the plastic abrasives is the possibility of taking off too much frit. The frit is to protect the urethane from ultraviolet light and the plastic abrasives can take too much of the frit off the glass if used incorrectly.

So if the black frit protects the urethane, Why don't all windshields have a black frit on all 4 edges??

Lee, How many current urethane set shields do not have a frit on all 4 sides, or are you referring to the 1980's shields that had a chrome molding??
Ooops.....

Putting in a DW1016 in a older El Camino. Frit on 3 sides. If frit protects urethane why is it only on 3 sides of new w/s?? If it's so important it should go on the top of w/s also.

Lee, Many of those older vehicles had thiokol as their oem adhesive and even if they had urethane, they had a chrome molding to protect the UV from the adhesive. When the 940/943/936/937's came out they then ran the frits on all four sides, no more chrome moldings just a push in christmas tree filler strip. Think about it for a second or two, where is the sun?? Yes, it is up in the sky so the sun shines down on the car or comes in from the side, hence, probably their logic, on putting the frit on the bottom and two sides, plus they used less ink. The last time I looked, for the sun to shine up and under the chrome on the top, the car would have to be upside down. Correct? Plus there are OEM & OEM approved 100% UV blocking glass and frit primers available. Clear activator is never used without a 100% UV blocking frit band and primerless is NEVER used OEM. Only BMW uses clear activtor as OEM on glass, they use 100% UV blocking St Gobain fritted shields. All others uses black primer on the glass. If light shines through the glass or frit, black prime it.
Ooops...

find me on facebook i am having issues, and they just do not want to hear it.

Switching to UltraFast II

If it's my rep oh it must just be how your handling it... BS

What area are you in? I can forward you the local Dow reps information. It's what I've used since it was Essex and can't recall when I last had a warranty job because the product didn't perform.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com