AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
My Abra Experience

Well, those that know, and I'm sure it's most of you. The shop I was working for was bought by Abra back in March. I didn't know what to expect, but now I do.

They came in and bought us without anyone except the owners of Interstate Glass knowing a thing. Complete shock! The shop I was at in Cary, NC was a really nice place with 3 bays, storage for parts, nice front office, etc. The staff worked well together to get the job done. When Abra came in, they bought the 4 locations of Interstate, then moved my shop to Raleigh. Instead of the 3 nice bays, nice office space, etc., I was working out of a drop box next to a body shop and the office was upstairs, this was just the beginning of the reorganization they did. I felt homeless not having a bay or storage. They brought in really nice tech, good adhesives (Dow Express instead of the Dinitrol we'd be using), etc. I had hopes.

Of the 2 techs in my shop, 1 was moved to a different location, 2 more were hired and trained for body shop work. We ran really long routes at Interstate, sometimes as much as 2 hours away. We were promised that the routes would be shortened, never happened. Due to the reorganization, communications between the CSR's, technicians, and local management suffered. A couple of people left, most just complained between ourselves. The frustration came to a head one day and I fired off a letter to Jim Richardson about the problems. I wasn't in the best frame of mind when I wrote it, but I did try to take some action to correct things instead of just whining along with everyone else. That was my death sentence.

Work slowed to a crawl, and 2 days ago when I came in, I had a single work order. I went out, installed the windshield, and came back to the shop. Jim Richardson was there and asked to have a word with me. He told me that I didn't seem happy there and that we'd be parting company. I told him that the company I was happy at had become Safelite and no, I wasn't happy there. I feel they used that email as an excuse to get rid of what had become excess personnel. They brought in too many people to fast and I paid for it because I was the one that tried to fix it. They don't like criticism, apparently.

What I experienced with Abra was a company that has good people, but at the end of the day is all about the production numbers, period. The monthly emails reminders about productions numbers, the "Do as I say" mentality. The only difference is they don't restrict the tools you can have. Now, at the tender age of 52, I'm stuck with no income, I lost a job with a company I liked because of corporate bs. I'm hoping to find something soon, but it doesn't look good. I think at this point, I'm so fed up with the autoglass industry, that I'm more than willing to throw 20 years away just to stay out of it.

Anyhow, that's my experience with Abra. I hope none of you ever go through it

Re: My Abra Experience

You should have kept your mouth shut! Cost you your job.

Yup. We had a problem, I tried to fix it instead of belly aching about it and I got fired for it. Their loss, punish a good tech, keep the hacks.

**** IT! You should have come to work for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just friggin hired a guy to do that run!!!!!!!!!!

Wish I knew. I'm looking. May have a lead on a job, fingers crossed.

Thanks, Larry. My heads still spinning a little. Not sure were to go from here.

captfubar give me a call beaufort hilton head 843 379-7222

I MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP YOU. cALL ME AT (757) 235-0433.

Thanks, guys

don't be scared open your own business. competition is always good

Please email me your contact information. Might have an opportunity in the Raleigh area in a new glass shop. autoglassgal**********

Thanks, but I've gotten with a good shop. Been there a couple of weeks and so far, so good.

where did you end up @?

Fleet Glass. It's different from what I've been doing. I get to go into the quarries now. Ever start a discussion with a customer that includes "Are you blasting today?" ;)

the guy uses 5 tube of u400 per 1310 , so I have heard? Is this the same company?

I know we use 4 on the glue in KW's. Sorry, I'm not familiar with a 1310. They run a really tall bead on the top. They also do a European set. Run the glue on the glass instead of the body.

Glassbytes user #4
the guy uses 5 tube of u400 per 1310 , so I have heard? Is this the same company?

I wasn't sure what a 1310 fit since I've been doing auto and not big trucks for 18 years. Now that I know, yes. We use either 400 or Express and about 4 or 5 tubes. They run a really high bead.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com