AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
"Vent Puller" tool- classic cars... tricks?

Have a 54 Ford I'm working on replacing the vents and door glass on- I no longer have a vent puller to remove the glass from the frames on the vents. Anyone have another trick to removing the glass without wrecking the glass too bad or the frames/ pivot points? The tools are no longer available. Searching everywhere I can think to look.

Is there a chemical that will eat the tuff pack safely without destroying the rest oif the moldings?

Re: "Vent Puller" tool- classic cars... tricks?

atech, I will try to help, again. If you have an older equalizer, short blade with the sheaf, set it up for 1/4 inch depth or a little less. use water as a lubricant. Cut on both sides of glass carefully to not damage the chrome but yet loosen the pressure fabric surrounding the glass. Then take a small block of wood and rubber hammer and tap the chrome off the glass. All in all pretty simple, but go slow. If you do not have the original equalizer, a very sharp razor knife will cut the sides of pressure tape and glass. Once you have the chrome off glass you have your pattern. I hope this helps you.

Use release agent. Take skinny flat screw driver pry between frame and packing tape at top and bottom. Spray release in as far as you can get then spray at edges of frame. It may take a while but usually works. If somebody has glued it in cut it out like above. HTH

thanks Lee-

I am holding out hope that there is a tool somewhere that can still be purchased. I have one soaking in it for 24 hours now, but thought with the wealth of knowledge there has to be some good tricks-- beyond whittling the tuf pak.

I always used a wooden block to tap the frame from the glass. No damage and you get the force down low on the glass in this way. Soaking will expand the tuff pak in my opinion, making it harder to remove, not easier. JMHO.

I take a small screwdriver to pry open the top end and squirt denatured alcohol down in the frame and use an air chuck to blow it down the frame it works great may take a few times but it usually works unless some jackass urethaned them in

Never found a puller yet. Been using spray way #958 release agent for many years, with some gentle prying and tapping and pulling. Dribble it, let it work, the older and harder the old welt is, the longer it takes.

atech - I have a vent puller tool in good condition. How do we make contact?

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com