AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Not removing cowl panels

Windscreen Blog article on Cowl Panel removal, or lack of.

I suppose this is a promotional link, however it is industry relevant so hopefully it does not get deleted. It is news.

http://www.windscreenblog.service8.com.au/2015/05/holden-commodore-windscreen-done-right.html

Re: Not removing cowl panels

Service 8 thank you for posting this again. You seem to be people who care about quality, and proper w/s installations. Since you call them windscreens I can assume you are from Uk, or ausie land That is just fine..Doesn't matter where you are from.

Here in U.S. we have "windshields" others have windscreens.

YOU are SO right. Pulling cowls is a very important part of doing quality replacements. Sadly we have MANY driveway, driveby, installers who do not give a rip. Most of them have said right out they don't care as they will never see this customer again. THEY DON"T CARE!

We are currently seeing 80-90 % of previous installs done INCORRECTLY. IT IS amazing how many cruddy installs we are seeing. In the last 2 weeks we have had 2 customers come in and say " my windshield seems to leak, I have air noise, and it seems the w/s is loose. WOW. we walk out, reach in, push on glass and it has totally released from the pinch weld. 2 in the last 2 weeks we only had to cut less than 2" on top and 2" inches on bottom. NO primers, probably primer less thane used by an ignorant installer.

Just today a 2013 chev p/up so badly butchered from a North Dakota Installer that the top of cab had to be re done! Their must be allot of cowl jumping, short cutting, auto glass butchers in North Dakota.

The problem stems from "PROFITABILITY" when shop are forced to do shoddy work than tha will be the norm. Thanks service 8 for steppin up!

We see a lot of that here in NC. Most of it is caused by people not caring, or simply just trying to do a lot of them in a day to either appease some idiot in management/accounting that doesn't understand that proper installations take time. It's not just a matter of how many a tech does in a day as the quality of the work he/she does. We've become an industry of quantity over quality, of bragging rights for the shear number someone does in day and what one can get away with. Heck, if it doesn't leak and looks good, who cares how it was done. It's management turning a blind eye to techs that do 8-10 a day knowing that they shortcut everything and even going so far as to reward them for productivity (albeit done at the expense of quality). I'm with The Right Way. I see about 80% of the work I go behind totally hacked. I've done my share of hack work over the years, working with some of the big companies out there, being pushed to produce. AGRSS/AGSC validation hasn't made a dent in what I see out there. Guys do what they have to in order to pass the exam, fudge paperwork, etc., but after the examiner leaves, they're back to hacking.

Sorry, got on my soapbox a little.

Agree with comments about pressure from management and just plain old laziness.

That said as individuals we do have choices. Where is the pride in what you do? If windscreen installing is your chosen career why would you not want to do it to the best of your ability? It's your signature, the work you produce says allot about your character.

another problem or cause is customized offers mobile only or shops that don't know how to generate quality sales cut there own throats to generate work, then they must do more just to get by, not to build a reputation on quality and service, in turn this hurts all of us who have worked hard to build a reputation for quality and service, because the insurance industry feels if fly by night'ers can offer these deep discounts we all can. customized offers have hurt us all including the consumer.

I watched some genius in a local parking lot at a CVS do a DW1217 without removing the cowl and it took him about 2 hours most of it cleaning up the mess and fighting the bottom of the windshield to get it out and it was amazing how he supposedly primed the scratches on the pinchweld, he had what appeared to be a piece of plastic with notches in it so he could spray paint said scratches it looked terrible I couldn't believe the customer accepted the job and paid him he had urethane all over his hands and arms and shirt I wish I had a camera at the time, it was a few years back.

Giving a legitimate response to this post is just taking the bait...Why waste your time?

You just did oppps

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com