AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
2014 Buick Enclave bonding issue

I am a full time installer at a GMC/Buick dealership. I recently replaced a w/s in a 2014 Buick Enclave DW2084 and the urethane pulled off the body on the top and sides. It appears that there was no primer applied on these areas. The urethatne was applied directly to the clear coat. I have filed the proper paperwork and photos with GM concerning this glaring oversight, it appears to me that this cannot be an issue on just one vehicle and there must be more of these vehicles whose drivers are in danger of a windshield failure.

If any of you have seen this issue with ANY GM vehicles, would you please e-mail me the VIN and the specifics of the issue. The more information I can get to the manufacturer the better.

Thank You,
Steven
stevenh@helenaautocenter.com

Re: 2014 Buick Enclave bonding issue

Are you sure it's not primerless to paint urethane? Sometimes it lets go.

I have seen this on the Enclave before. It is PTP urethane. I've also seen it occur on the Silverado's, express vans, and Trailblazers. GM had a recall about 10 or 12 years ago on the Trailblazer/ Envoys for PTP release. We replaced tons of them back then, second to Ford's recall to the 02 Taurus DW1460 for glass primer release issues. Who hasn't seen the bead peel on a Super Duty Ford 1522/ 1319 or the older Ram 1176 Jeep 1142 1346. Sometimes it's intermittent. The top and or sides will peel but not the bottom.

Seen it plenty. I remember a lot of 99 Grand Cherokee's did that.

I will very respectfully try to answer this. Sometimes I get taken wrong, and it starts a hissy fit.

This has been going on for quite a while. GM's started, then Fords, and I have seen it on a few other makes. The manufactures know this is happening and have known since around 1999, And after the Silverado's came out. GM, FORD, JEEP, And many other know about this and if you look back this has been talked about for a very long time. I still see factory sets from the late 99's to early 2000, factory set that the thane pulls right off. SOME ARE VERY SCARY HOW EASY THEY PULL OFF.

Here it is.

The paint today is URETHANE BASED PAINT. At the factory, the concept was-- because the paint is urethane based and the w/s is set with urethane, that if they can set the w/s before full cure of the paint, adhesion will be "good enough". then they do not have to use primers. This is NOT about primer-less urethane because that was supposed to be to glass only which is another BIG MISTAKE. Primerless has never been intended to be to paint. And now with the contaminants on glass that we have to scuff, primer-less is now DANGEROUS, and should never be used to set w/s's, but but to glue things like mldgs.

SO why does it peel off on the top and sides the most? AH because the paint cures fastest from the top and then works around to the bottom. Opps, they did not set the glass fast enough before the paint cured beyond the urethane base to adhere.

I have also seen many, many times the thane peeled right off the bottom also, just past the body seem compound. JUST before and continuing after. So it is not limited to the top and sides only, it is about cure time for the paint, to the thane. Anyone concur ???????

To the gentleman who started this thread. I commend you for caring and trying to do something about this, keep up the good work. But bottom line the manufacturers know exactly what they are doing and what they are getting away with. This is Just my humble opinion as always.

Sounds reasonable, but there were articles that discussed primerless to paint urethanes. Not primerless to glass, which simply has primer mixed into it. Primerless to paint started around 99, and we've seen problems with most manufacturers. Having said that, it's very plausible that there was nothing different about the urethane, just their reasoning on applying it to urethane based paint.

Right Answer
I will very respectfully try to answer this. Sometimes I get taken wrong, and it starts a hissy fit.

This has been going on for quite a while. GM's started, then Fords, and I have seen it on a few other makes. The manufactures know this is happening and have known since around 1999, And after the Silverado's came out. GM, FORD, JEEP, And many other know about this and if you look back this has been talked about for a very long time. I still see factory sets from the late 99's to early 2000, factory set that the thane pulls right off. SOME ARE VERY SCARY HOW EASY THEY PULL OFF.

Here it is.

The paint today is URETHANE BASED PAINT. At the factory, the concept was-- because the paint is urethane based and the w/s is set with urethane, that if they can set the w/s before full cure of the paint, adhesion will be "good enough". then they do not have to use primers. This is NOT about primer-less urethane because that was supposed to be to glass only which is another BIG MISTAKE. Primerless has never been intended to be to paint. And now with the contaminants on glass that we have to scuff, primer-less is now DANGEROUS, and should never be used to set w/s's, but but to glue things like mldgs.

SO why does it peel off on the top and sides the most? AH because the paint cures fastest from the top and then works around to the bottom. Opps, they did not set the glass fast enough before the paint cured beyond the urethane base to adhere.

I have also seen many, many times the thane peeled right off the bottom also, just past the body seem compound. JUST before and continuing after. So it is not limited to the top and sides only, it is about cure time for the paint, to the thane. Anyone concur ???????

To the gentleman who started this thread. I commend you for caring and trying to do something about this, keep up the good work. But bottom line the manufacturers know exactly what they are doing and what they are getting away with. This is Just my humble opinion as always.

Todays paints are WATER based...I was paint shop supervisor for FORD of Canada at the Oakville Assembly plant and with GM of Canada...NEVER was paint URETHANE based!

I checked a 2003 f150 for water leak yesterday it was factory set it had sunroof could not water test except with bottle looked like good seal was sure it was sunroof then i pushed out on windshield it was loose across entire top air bag would have blowed it out on the hood. the primer on glass let loose it ruined computer.The bad thing ford does not make them any more they found used one out west $800.I run into paint failure on different makes twice a month.

Isn't the water based paint still urethane? The water cuts down on vocs, correct? But it's still urethane, it just has more water instead of solvents. Correct me if I'm wrong, that's just what I've read.

WRONG ANSWER!
Right Answer

Here it is.

Todays paints are WATER based...I was paint shop supervisor for FORD of Canada at the Oakville Assembly plant and with GM of Canada...NEVER was paint URETHANE based!

http://www.essentialchemicalindustry.org/materials-and-applications/paints.html

Ok Wrong answer, Lets do a little deeper looking here. You are correct in part.

Acrylic resins may also be used in industrial paints, either as water-borne emulsion paints or as solvent-borne paints. Solvent-borne industrial paints can have a tough protective finish and are widely used in industry as topcoats, for example on car bodies. The paint frequently comes as two components which are mixed together just before use: the main paint portion typically consists of an acrylic resin produced by the polymerization of a propenoate ester formed from a polyhydric alcohol (diols and triols). The resulting polyester has numerous hydroxyl groups (-OH) pendant from the polymer backbone. The hydroxyl groups react with the other compound often consisting of a polymeric isocyanate such as a trimer of 1,6-diisocyanatohexane (hexamethylene diisocyanate):

Such a compound is known as a crosslinker for it produces, on reaction with the resin, a three-dimensional structure similar to the polyurethane formed from a polyol and an isocyanate.
When these two components are mixed together, a chemical reaction takes place between the hydroxyl groups on the polymer (acrylic resin) and the isocyanate groups on the cross linker:

NOTICE- POLYURETHANE? Check out the link from where This info comes from. I have never worked in the automotive paint industry, but a couple things I have learned. I will stand by my original post. Whether water-borne or resin-borne. But you are wrong about paints never have or are poly-urethane based or borne.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com