AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
'08 Chevy Malibu windshield distortion - DW1672GTY

We have installed 3 DW1672GTY's into a customers 2008 Chevy Malibu and each one of them has had a wavy/rippled distortion from the middle of the windshield to right in front of the driver. This distortion has apparently caused our customer to feel "dizzy and nauseated". You cannot see the distortion on the windshield until it has been installed into the car. Has anyone else had this complaint for this year make and model? Our glass has been coming from Pilkington.

Re: '08 Chevy Malibu windshield distortion - DW1672GTY

I have on different vehicle. Your best bet is to get a different brand.

Unfortunately, the costumer is now demanding OEM which runs in the $300 range. Could the Acoustic Interlayer be causing the distortion??

You should be able to see any potential distortion in the glass prior to installation by leaning it over close to the angle it sits in the car, then pick an object looking through (a light or line on the wall). Change the glass angle slightly and it should show up as movement of the object in the background.

We have not seen a distortion issue with these and I do not believe acoustic PVB inter-layer would cause this but I could be wrong. It is typical to see vertical distortion (vertical draw lines) in some windshields but that would be seen from an extreme side angle.

Put in a fy. That's oem in the newer chevy. Not s bad piece of glass either.

unfortunately distortions have become the norm, not the exception. Question isn't if there is a distortion but where is it distorted?

Sad but true. The factory glass has the same issue, but once again the "you touched it last" syndrome rears its ugly head. I went through this in the past and finally realized on some models you have to show things to the customer before you begin. The pre-inspection is a pain but in the long run a money saver. By the way, I'm not suggesting the problem isn't the Pilk brand. If we see a problem the first thing we do is try a different manufacturer.

Remember, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly expecting different results.

Regular preventive maintenance is probably the single thing you can do as a car owner to keep your ride happy and save money on repairs in the future. However, not everyone agrees on what preventive maintenance is, what you should do, and when you should do it. Let's clear that up, and give you some tips that'll apply to any vehicle.
………………………………………………….

PREVENTATIVE VEHICLE MAINTENANCE

After the second distorted windshield, we checked it over "assuming" that we would notice any distortion. We tilted it while sitting in chair, we stood over it, under it, beside it. Nothing showed up until it was placed in the car. Ultimately what it comes down to is we should have dry set it. That was our mistake and lesson learned. We should have also went through a different manufacturer after the first distortion. I just didn't think that a person could get 3 windshields with the same issue in the same spot. And it didn't matter if you are 5'3" or 6' tall, you could clearly see the horizontal lines running from the middle to right in front of the drivers view.

If the distortion wasn't right in the view of the driver, I wouldn't be bending over backwards for him but unfortunately, if he got into an accident with it and the glass is distorted, he could sue....

Lites come 20-30 in a crate. It's safe to assume that several crates could be from the same run. We found out the hard way that if you open a crate and find a distortion, all the parts will be distorted.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com