AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
2 person windshield install

I am new to the autoglass business and learning more and more. I was wondering how many people out there use the 2 person set for an install or do you just have one person try to do it? Do you see an increase in injuries when using only one installer? Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: 2 person windshield install

Been doing all 2 person sets over 15 years now and will continue to do so. Fancy setting tools are all good and fine but I will go 2 person sets all day long.

The solo, or the lil buddy both do an excellent job, a stick beats a hand from someone that does not know what they are doing. With that being said even when I could use a knowledgeable person I would use the setting tool. But I don't need someone in my way either. I like to work alone, then my tools do not get misplaced and things do not get out of order.

I started out installing with a second person then slowly started installing alone with the 2nd person guiding me. I never really learned how to install with a setting tool when i came in the business. But it is good to learn how to use it, in case you run into a vehicle with a roof rack. Just hang in there you will not learn over night and mistakes are ok as long as you do not do the same mistake twice. Just my opinion. Good Luck

I don't get a lot of help, so I have to rely on my Lil' Buddy and I use it. it doesn't work for everything, and 2 qualified techs are always best, but it's better than nothing or wearing yourself out at an early age.

This could be debated forever, but the truth is you'll never be able to accomplish with one tech what two well trained techs can do. And why would you? To save money. To save lives the job should be done with two well trained techs. And insurance companies should pay to have the replacement done safely and correctly.

Installing with 2 techs makes everything easier and less wear and tear on your body, But some of us that had been doing this for years will set by ourselves or use a lil' buddy or a solo set devise. I personally would rather set by myself unless it is a dw 1481 or a dw 1308 truck windshield, then I would ask for some help.

Two man set is always better. single person set ok on some but still not as good.

Larry
The solo, or the lil buddy both do an excellent job, a stick beats a hand from someone that does not know what they are doing. With that being said even when I could use a knowledgeable person I would use the setting tool. But I don't need someone in my way either. I like to work alone, then my tools do not get misplaced and things do not get out of order.

I agree. I work alone and cover a lot of ground. If I did all in shop or short mobile runs it would make sense for me to train someone. I often have 30 minutes to 2 hours drive time between jobs. There's no way I could afford to pay a helper, let alone an experienced tech to run around with me. I've used the buddy before. It will work, but takes too long for me to setup. I've been using the rolladeck for a while now. At first I thought I would only use it when I absolutely had to. After a couple of sets, I developed a routine. Now I use it on everything and it hasn't slowed my production at all. In fact overall I think it has increased because I'm not having to dry fit anymore. I don't have to worry about the guy on the other side of the glass being too high or too low either.

So even though everyone agrees that a two man set is best and the safest method the bottom line is many if not most don't do two man sets because it's too expensive. What ever happened to striving to be the best and charging accordingly?

Setting devises may save your back but they will never duplicate a set done with two skilled techs. Come on guys, lives are at stake here.

I disagree. With the solo, you are in complete control. There is 2 many things that can go wrong with 2 people. I suppose if you do 2 man sets when it leaks you can always claim "that was your side that is leaking??"

that's preposterous logic Larry, there are an infinite amount of things that can happen, only one is laying blame on a second person.

Even with the setting aids, you still have to lift the old part out. Do the have that capability? 22 years of one man mobile took its toll on me, as well as a lot of other guys. I'd like to suggest to any young guys reading this forum that you use any tool that will make the job easier and safer. After a total of 40 years in this business I wish I'd have listened to some of the old timers and not tried to be superman. One thing I learned, if you do one big one by yourself, the boss thinks you can do them all.

Larry
I disagree. With the solo, you are in complete control. There is 2 many things that can go wrong with 2 people. I suppose if you do 2 man sets when it leaks you can always claim "that was your side that is leaking??"

Larry, REALLY, I mean REALLY. This one is really and I am being nice, an....
Ooops...

Oh WTF, that is possibly the dumbest one you have put up.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com