AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Pilkington--No Clear Advantage

Has other shops had issues with NSG? I am having more and more defects, scratches, consumer complaints like the well documented gravity versus mirror bracket debacle.
NSG owns L-N and once in a while I can get L-N FW2500,2501 and 2502s from Pilk rather that its DOT177 product. Someone at NSG should transfer LN's quality control dept and send them to Mexico where DOT177 really needs to shape up its product.

In 4 days,I received 4 windshields that had damage under their orange tape corners. Hey!! switch to clear tape so one can see the damage you are doing to your own product in either packaging or shipping.

I had a customer refuse an FYG FW3260 and asked me to go get a Pilk one since PIlk (DOT15) makes that windshield for Toyota. I was surprised but not shocked that when I picked the glass up from my warehouse that it was DOT177 and not DOT 15. The glass was in the vehicle 1 day when I got a call from the 75 year old customer saying that the water does not squeezie off the glass and it has lines and a cloudy spot. I know I had to use razor blades during clean-up to remove a substance that was on much of the frit. Sadly I'm going to replace her glass with the FYG that had a much better finish.

I have not heard from a salesman from Pilk in over a year. Their Operations MGR who had zero glass experience when hired (but young and dumb) quit a few months back and not yet been replaced. NSG's nearest warehouse is 160 miles away and is "covering" our major market. A further example of staying cheap.

Use their AZ call center and you are usually put on hold for 3-7 minutes because they are too cheap to hire more CSRs. You get to listen to their "high quality OE manufactured" spiel which makes one's eyes roll with disgust.
To me, they are sinking lower and lower and while I do not like patronizing Chinese brands, Pilkington's quality is being surpassed by other brands. It has cost me money buying Pilk and warrantying issues. Further proof that this industry cares very little about the product they make and sell

Re: Pilkington--No Clear Advantage

Welcome to my world. I have found there are much better suppliers out there. Ones that actually have parts in stock as well.

Same issue in FL. Were are you located?

Seems like the more expensive the glass is the more times they damage it, I just love being billed 2 and 3 times for a broken windshield on delivery. and then wait for them to reimburse us for the first 2 or 3. What is wrong with having it credited till a NON-damaged part comes in?

Weird one...2015 Chrysler 300...2,000 miles on it Huge stone chip...Windshield was replaced last Friday with Pilkington...Very reputable glass installer/company...I don't know #'s I don't install...I was called in for a diagnosis...65 year old single lady hits a bump mirror "falls" off the new windshield, the button actually broke off the glass. Glass supplier says installers fault...installer says glass fault...customer says I don't give a crap who's fault I want a new w/shield...dealership says someone is at fault...I got called in. Loaded car I said glass is at fault, to me it looked like a flatter spot where it should be curved more???? and to order a factory w/shield...Glass installer will install for free...Glass supplier says NO way am I taking it back...glass company is now out the glass and the labour. Dealership is getting the glass through "Chrysler warranty". I think I did the right thing...I didn't charge my diag fee as I didn't want to add insult to injury....

Installed a Pilkington fw3696 PGTY. Our technician didn't notice the different mirror bracket attachment.Very similar bracket at 1st glance. Called the local Pilkington branch to get resolved. He explain that can we transfer over the old bracket to fix?. We explain we can try but not responsible. Before we attempt the transfer we looked over the position of rain sensor to the painted frit sensor area. After we measured and determined that it would not work. We removed part and installed a OEM piece costing 800.00 dollars. Now we are on the hook for the Pilkington glass until the sales representative looks over the glass. We not only cut the Pilkington glass out with out breakage. We even gave them the oem original piece of glass out the vehicle to compare. So 1 week pass by and still no credit

Kind of makes having a HOT DOG stand look appealing.

xs
Installed a Pilkington fw3696 PGTY. Our technician didn't notice the different mirror bracket attachment.Very similar bracket at 1st glance. Called the local Pilkington branch to get resolved. He explain that can we transfer over the old bracket to fix?. We explain we can try but not responsible. Before we attempt the transfer we looked over the position of rain sensor to the painted frit sensor area. After we measured and determined that it would not work. We removed part and installed a OEM piece costing 800.00 dollars. Now we are on the hook for the Pilkington glass until the sales representative looks over the glass. We not only cut the Pilkington glass out with out breakage. We even gave them the oem original piece of glass out the vehicle to compare. So 1 week pass by and still no credit

Maybe that is/was the problem on the glass I looked at today?

LEAKPRO
xs

Maybe that is/was the problem on the glass I looked at today?

The Pilkington glass had the incorrect rain sensor frit band and the optical area in the incorrect place. If we had transferred the bracket it would have blocked the rain sensor from getting a reading. And the mirror would have been below the frit area for the sensor to sit in the optical lens area. But we can see that the pilkington glass had urethane securing the bracket to the glass. That is the correct way to secure these aluminum mirror bracket rain sensor combinations.

Lee
Kind of makes having a HOT DOG stand look appealing.

At least a Hot Dog truck is a CASH only biz..... There is no steering of biz from TPA's.....

Wow this is a good view from the trench, I bet this was written about plk's bay area location. Mr. positive your writing style is too similar to a certain blogger...

In my case, I am in a rural area so both my suppliers use a private courier.
Glass is delivered over night, One time they were late and I waited for my glass, up rolls this Chevy express Van,Guy opens the doors and they had the windshields stuffed in this van, double even 3 windshields per slot, (They use corrugated plastic between windshields, I knew right then this is why I get so many scratched and damaged parts, I tried to ask the dude a question and he knew zero English, I always know when they get a new driver from the number of damaged parts getting delivered, My favorite is broken ones they still deliver, Like I am not going to notice.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com