AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Recalibration

bob I get your point this is going to become a big problem for us (expense) that I will not eat. ask a dealer if oe is needed are you kidding me they tell people thier wiper blades wore out sooner because they don't have oe. putting this stuff on a part that gets broken more than any other part on a car is just plain stupid, we will be expected to buy expensive equipment to handle these issues yet we barely get paid enough for the install oh but don't worry nags will get us an additional .2 hrs for recal, then you have to find bright enough installers to learn this sure. I can't get out soon enough 34 years enough.

Re: Recalibration

We have had a few of these lane departure cameras/rain sensor/light sensor not working properly after installation.

They have all been insurance claims, We do not belong to any network.
They have all gone through through TPA's warranty department.
They have all claimed our fault for camera not working properly.
The dealership has stated faulty aftermarket glass as problem in all three situations. All three were the same brand just no logo as the original part - (APtech, and Pilkington brands)

I have had long conversations with each warranty department stating it is required by manufacture of vehicle to have recalibration done to cars computer after each of these installations. We even have a statement on our invoices of this fact and have customer sign that they understand this step needs to be done at dealership so sensors will work properly.

Plus most insurance companies will fight not to pay for OEM glass, they can't have it both ways. My argument to each of the warranty departments have been this point. Insurance company would not approve OEM, usually shuts down their claim very quickly.

Basically i tell my customers that insurance company does not want to pay for dealerships inflated labor for recalibration. Most dealerships want a couple of hours to "diagnose problem", and want a couple of labor hours to recalibrate.

Statement on our invoices has helped with fighting warranty issues, I still worry about actual liability if customer gets into a crash before recalibration is done, are we still responsible in that situation?

Only an anecdote: agent from State Farm was told by their claim's dept. that the recalibration would be covered by the policy. Customer should be sent to dealer and customer would be reimbursed for the work at dealership.

(No idea how other ins companies are handling this and I was "told" (hearsay) this by an established agent that has a claims background.)

Id say refer all these back to the dealer and let the insurance companies pay full dealer list and then some. Then the insurance companies will be begging us to do these and pay the re-calibration costs!!!!!!

this is a no win send to the dealer you may as will get under the bus because if it's not oe that's where the dealer is going to throw you. opens a whole new can of worms.

Seems the solution would be pretty simple.

OEM dealer glass only...period.

State on that recorded line with the insured and the Ins. Co / TPA that the safety systems will be rendered inoperable using aftermarket glass and dealership recalibration will be required. At this time we need pre approval for these concers since their policy will be paying for this...correct?

Then shut up and let them answer the question. Push back for the insured when required. This liability rests solely on the insurance company and they own it lock, stock and barrel.

These safety systems were a mute point a few years back. Imagine a few years ahead. Crappy aftermarket glass is dunnage for landfills.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com