AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Acura TL truck leaking....

Any comments on acura TL trunk filling up with water after back glass is replaced? I have a customer telling me that its from the glass... I spent 3 hrs water testing it and air testing the entire pinchweld where the new bead lays... cannot get it to leak, but he insists that water fills up in trunk... i do see water stains in the trunk carpet but do not know where its coming from.... please if any suggestions or anything please reply.. no bs where ohhh your stupid it does leak or etc... serious replies ONLYYYYY

... Some sites suggest it can be leaking from the brake lights in the back... anyone heard of this before? thanks _____ GLASS GUY JR

Re: Acura TL truck leaking....

In my many years and also many others will tell you, respectfully. R/I the glass and show the customer that the bead is good and they may have a problem somewhere else. Or the classic ( it didn't leak until you installed the glass). You can have a double cut under there and never find the leak with air.

Also was there body work ?
Was there rust?
Did the glue bond more to the molding than the glass?

There can be so many possibilities, I would just cut out glass again reinstall glass

Glass guy JR
Any comments on acura TL trunk filling up with water after back glass is replaced? I have a customer telling me that its from the glass... I spent 3 hrs water testing it and air testing the entire pinchweld where the new bead lays... cannot get it to leak, but he insists that water fills up in trunk... i do see water stains in the trunk carpet but do not know where its coming from.... please if any suggestions or anything please reply.. no bs where ohhh your stupid it does leak or etc... serious replies ONLYYYYY

... Some sites suggest it can be leaking from the brake lights in the back... anyone heard of this before? thanks _____ GLASS GUY JR

The first place I would look is at the tail lights. Remove as much of the trunk interior rugs as possible. Get someone to go into the trunk, close the trunk and start running the water. Make sure that you start at the lowest point first, where the tail light bolts go through the body and work your way up to points below the back glass. If you get water coming in and no water has touched the back glass, BINGO, it is not the back glass.
Oh yes, make sure you give the person in the trunk a good flashlight.

D a m n Yankee
In my many years and also many others will tell you, respectfully. R/I the glass and show the customer that the bead is good and they may have a problem somewhere else. Or the classic ( it didn't leak until you installed the glass). You can have a double cut under there and never find the leak with air.

Was there rust?
"Did some hack like me use 30 day dirty sox to try to fix the leak?"

There can be so many possibilities, I would just cut out glass again reinstall glass

YES I have found some that leak around the back light. But blame the tech for replacing the back glass.

we had one at the dealer (we did not do the job) it was leaking coming in in such a odd spot that you could not see it, going into this weird compartment and dripping in the trunk, I isolated this by taping off the entire back glass permiter and removing tape till i found the effected area. took me a ton of time.

xs
D a m n Yankee

Was there rust?

XS, REALLY? Go change your DEPENDS already and put on some big boy pants.

D A M N YANKEE
xs
D a m n Yankee

Was there rust?

Wow, Im amazed to hear from you at this hour!. I figure you be midnite Coon hunting with the rest of the good ole Hill Billy hick boyz down there...lol

xs
D A M N YANKEE
xs
D a m n Yankee

Was there rust?

Wow, Im amazed to hear from you at this hour!. I figure you be midnite Coon hunting with the rest of the good ole Hill Billy hick boyz down there...lol

NOPE no coon hunting for me, getting ready for the last weekend to shoot a duck in the face.

THANKS A TON TOO ALL ... appreciate the feed back finally people who actually take these things seriously , I just finished re installing it , I got the old bead down to the bare metal , primed the bare metal and shot a new bead ... hopefully this fixes it, and if it don't of course ill have to try the tail lights too see if that's the issue , thanks again all appreciate it a lot ! --- Glass guy Jr

Did you see any defects in the urethane bead?

We usually shoot the bead of urethane on the glass. Most of the time you always can count on a uniform surface on the glass vs a pinchweld. So the V bead can face the pinchweld to absorb the inconsistency insuring a better seal

Glass guy JR

We have seen quite a few of these...Ask yourself why was the back glass being replaced in the first place? That may lead you somewhere, accident etc....There are 1/4 panel body seams on the left side and right side under the glass and side moulding. We have had these leak form the factory. We have also had these seams leaking from glass guys cutting out the glass and cutting into that sealer. I have had the odd tail light leak. Let me know if you have any other concerns with this car.

NEVER forget to inspect the carpet first whether it's a back lite or windshield. If the carpet is wet or stained from leaking have the customer sign off, acknowledging the issue. You'll avoid the, "It didn't leak before you replaced it" scenario. A few seconds can save a lot of time, grief, and $$$$$$

Smiley
NEVER forget to inspect the carpet first whether it's a back lite or windshield. If the carpet is wet or stained from leaking have the customer sign off, acknowledging the issue. You'll avoid the, "It didn't leak before you replaced it" scenario. A few seconds can save a lot of time, grief, and $$$$$$

GREAT idea, if you have a Drieze hydro stick you touch the carpets and it takes 10 seconds to do all four floor areas.

Smiley

Brilliant, Brilliant.
This is NOT an Ooops...

LEAKPRO ---- Thanks for the input , I reinstalled the glass 2 days ago and so far so good lol , hopefully by me cutting the old bead completely off too bare metal fixed it , I scratched padded it and primed it up and shot a decent size bead ! I think the issue was a faulty factory set on the glass... because it was leaking prior too even having a new glass installed and after wards you know how it is especially with a dealership, you were the last ones to touch it.. but thanks again all !!!! I think I fixed the issue , ill comment back soon as I get the call that it doesn't leak anymore !

Just where is this, Re: Acura TL truck leaking....?????????

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com