AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Getting Glass Shards Out of Doors- Addendum to Water Shields

Current pet peeve is the door designs that not only have the horizontal safety bars but are pinched so tight at the bottom that it takes so much time to get shards out. Add to that in many Honda or Acura designs, the regulators are so greased up that they catch enough glass particles that can or will in the future affect performance or longevity.
I don't care how many Rube Goldberg contraptions that we come up with, glass removal takes time. For me as a mobile I have a 8 hp vac that can be reversed giving me some ability to use both a positive or negative air flow. Without that, along with a flexible slim jim, I would be dead. At body shops, I've used their compressors and despite the higher air volume, the time saved is negligible. ( I have no room for a compressor on my service body truck). I would say that I spend 30-45 min getting shards out of the newer MDX's using a suck/blow (sounds sexy but not!!)method
The NAGS time is unrealistic especially for mobile work. But more bothersome is knowing the short cuts my hack cohorts take. While perhaps not as safety related as pinchweld non priming and urethane misapplication, one cannot vacuum out most late model door in 10 min.

Re: Getting Glass Shards Out of Doors- Addendum to Water Shields

OPUS,
I hear you the glass in some of these doors are sometimes a real pain in the -ss, a thin slim jim really don't work so well,( trust me I tried ) a long time ago. I do everything I can to get the glass out of a door frame, what I figured out is a 3 ft long piece of stainless 1/8 inch tig welding wire bent 3 to 4 inch's up and slightly flattened out on the end and a 30 degree shaved point on the end, will get most if not all the small and large pieces to a area where you can vac out. I also have a small 3 gallon air compressor to help out in times where needed. If you can find the tig wire you will be happier on how well it works.

I have good luck with my shop vac. I have the hard plastic end cut off so I can squeeze it into smaller areas. I very rarely find a spot I can't get to.

We carry compressed air from a converted 10lb propane cylinder. Gets the job done in conjunction with our 5hp shop vac. We just fill up the tanks in am and we good all day

Nags labor time is for the replacement only. Cleanup and vacuuming are an additional charge.

That is not correct, Mitchel time is without clean up, NAGS has clean up included. Fact check.

For years we have had a piece of 3/16 od copper tube attached to the blow gun of our air hose. Most blow guns have a removable fitting and you can put a compression fitting adapter on them and use the tube, got about a 2 foot piece and it really gets in there. You can bend it many times and it won't break, and it is great to blow the glass around as you have the vac going. Won't help you if you don't have air in your van, but worth considering.

The hours are way off on most of these, just did a 2010 jetta ,in shop, and it took me forever, 1.5 hrs nags,, what are they thinking ?

Dave

All of the Jetta's stink! What about the new ignorant jeeps where the door panel is a PITA to get off...

Dave in Mass
The hours are way off on most of these, just did a 2010 jetta ,in shop, and it took me forever, 1.5 hrs nags,, what are they thinking ?
Dave

Maybe you just dont know what your doing !.

It's my understanding that NAGS labor time is a "guesstimate", but if you find cars that require more time, contact NAGS and they are open to correcting the time.

Ira
It's my understanding that NAGS labor time is a "guesstimate", but if you find cars that require more time, contact NAGS and they are open to correcting the time.

That is true you just have to document and justify why your asking an editor to review I have sent several in over the years and have had pretty decent success.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com