AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
2014 Range Rover Autobiography Windshield Install

Am pondering whether to do one. I have carte blanche as far as parts but am being told by dealer that windshield comes with "everything". (They haven't sold a glass for one of these)
Has anyone out there done one of these? If so, I presume you have gotten an OE glass. Upper molding come with it? Dealer thinks yes. Does cowl attach to glass or just cover it? How easy is cowl to remove? I've removed hoods before for Rover installs Will I need to order any sort of clips?
I have not done anything newer on the Land Rover line above 2008. I have looked at late model HSCs and the post molding look like the only real barrier to overcome. the parts guy said there are no replacement rivets like the older model Rovers moldings needed. How do the side post moldings come off then? Will I need clips?
I've had 35 years in the trade so I don't like getting caught with my pants down with a new vehicle. I'd appreciate any advice that can be offered.

Re: 2014 Range Rover Autobiography Windshield Install

I just did one of these Friday. Piece of cake, upper molding comes on dealer glass, no plastic rivets to worry about. Since you have carte blanche I would bring sides, but you may only need the clips. 13mm wiper nuts, cowl clips unsnap easily with a panel remover #25 Torx to remove garnish interior for heater wires, wear gloves fabric stains easily, generic rain sensor. Mirror easily twists off and on. Bead on edge of glass easily accessable with a cold knife all the way around. Don't forget to use HMNC urethane.

No stops on these, suggest assistance in properly setting. I would recommend a helper or the Rolladeck system. If you have questions from the job, I'm happy to help. Give me a call at 941-467-0790

Dan

they weigh a heck of a lot less than they use to. Gravy job.fr

Thanks guys. Two man job for sure. $1200+ for glass. I wouldn't think about anything less.

I use Sika Move It which says it is an all modulus urethane. I use it on all my Audis and Porsches

You could use a lil buddy or a solo set also. Or you could use the new product I got brewing called STOP IT. BUT lets see how the proto type works out. hope no one tries to challenge it...

We made 3 of these for a HBO show (OUTLAWS). Normally we do these in clear for a show but they were ok with the green tint. What they didn't like was the defroster lines in the glass, seems the camera made them stand out and they couldn't see the actors.

Ordered Rover glass today and asked about the post moldings. The parts guy did not sound too knowledgeable when I asked about clips. He said it looked like the post moldings weer bolted in. (????) I trust the guys who posted that said there were clips.
What kind of clips and how are they released?

I had new moldings and glad I did. It had been previously replaced and they broke half the clips and urethaned the moldings down. Not sure if the clips are sold separately, but the new molding comes with them. They're plastic similar to the Flex clips. With patience and finesse, you might be able to remove them without damage but I would bring replacements in case. There is 1 - 2 piece rivet type of clip at the bottom of each molding under the hood, but easily removed and reusable.

Lee, are you a manufacturer? Do you have gravity molds and an autoclave and produce custom windshields? That's awesome, please post your business contact we get requests for custom curved laminated from time to time down here.

The 14's we worked on have a under w/s upper molding and what looks like under w/s side moldings. But the sides are on the body not the glass. We wired these out and had no use for any clips as the sides are solid and don't need to be removed. GD yes we make custom laminated glass. We do everything in house except laminating. Alan Auto Glass Burbank Ca

http://s411.photobucket.com/user/Lee599/library/?sort=6&page=1

glassmandan
I had new moldings and glad I did. It had been previously replaced and they broke half the clips and urethaned the moldings down. Not sure if the clips are sold separately, but the new molding comes with them. They're plastic similar to the Flex clips. With patience and finesse, you might be able to remove them without damage but I would bring replacements in case. There is 1 - 2 piece rivet type of clip at the bottom of each molding under the hood, but easily removed and reusable.

Lee, are you a manufacturer? Do you have gravity molds and an autoclave and produce custom windshields? That's awesome, please post your business contact we get requests for custom curved laminated from time to time down here.

Dan Lee has been posting here since like oh forever :) he makes windshields for movies, etc..

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com