AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
leaking driver side 2011 GMC SUV's that take DW1658/59

Can't seem to find leak on customer's car 2011 Escalade- water tested w/s 3times. had another local guy test as well. Nothing from w/s customer got flooded floorboards while driving during rain storm. Not sunroof. Any ideas? thanks

Re: leaking driver side 2011 GMC SUV's that take DW1658/59

On the roof look for lights, antennas-including satellite. Those can leak.
Could be a weld seam.
Check Firewall for any addons(wires)
If Passenger side check air intake box.

You could pull the A-Pillar covers and headliner and look for water trails.

Quad cab or two door, could be leaking at rear of cab and running forward

You could just spray water below the windshield and see if it will leak, keeping the windshield dry.

Do you have an Ultrasonic Leak detector? Try on of those. Better than water and air.

Check low...check the inner kick panel for any signs of or standing water...Check the wire grommet in the door pass through is secured and not loose/leaking...We have seen a few body seams left side under dash where the lower corner of the pinch weld is...you have to remove some electrical and park brake for access. Did this leak just happen? is it just one side or both? Did you check the A/C drain? Where are you located? Call me 905.829.LEAK(5325) if you want.

Did the customer recently :

1. have their car painted?

2. haul something in their luggage rack?

I had a blazer once that took my guy 5 windshields they could never figure it our I went out there taped everything off, and found that the water was coming in under the luggage rail, where it bolted to the car the customer had no leak prior to hauling a piece of furniture. It created such an odd problem of the water coming in thru the back of the car, running down the headliner with no signs of it. But it does happen.

I also was thinking I seen a thread here about a problem with the way that urethane was put on this vehicle?

Larry

I've seen a few of these leak from the antenna on the roof on the driver side.

Dell
I've seen a few of these leak from the antenna on the roof on the driver side.

Common, but not to the point of soaking the floors...More like a wet headliner at the "A" pillar.

What color is the vehicle?

How did you cut back on the glue?
Scraper or a Long Knife?

What kind of glue did you use?
Heated or Cold applied?

Certain color paints have a worse problem than others

The 2011 vehicles have a paint problem, the paint peels off the E-coat.
so if you used a long knife to trim back you wouldn't really find out if the paint is peeling, If you used a scraper you would have found out pretty quick.

Just scraping back can loosen the paint from the E-coat Or using your long knife

Heated glue could transfer heat thru and start the process of paint lifting off. Also glue shrinkage could tighten up to far and start a paint peel.

I am going to say just go get another glass and reinstall another new windshield, and do the job correctly this time. It didn't leak before you installed a new glass.

Also check for extra wires ( non-factory ) going thru the firewall, amp wires, fog light wires, ect ect water will travel under hood to the wires straight thru the firewall.

where's the leak
Can't seem to find leak on customer's car 2011 Escalade- water tested w/s 3times. had another local guy test as well. Nothing from w/s customer got flooded floorboards while driving during rain storm. Not sunroof. Any ideas? thanks

Any update on this leak?

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com