AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
city express vans

does any one know if these new city express chevy vans have enough room to do auto glass out of?

Re: city express vans

Yes, they are the same as the Nissan NV200 , i poked around one at an enterprise they have a really nice clearance I want one BAD these ford Econoline vans do not cut it at 14.5 miles a gallon.

Whatever you do DO NOT GET a New style Transit Connect there is so much stuff that will not fit in there, they made it longer but height smaller :(

Larry
Yes, they are the same as the Nissan NV200 , i poked around one at an enterprise they have a really nice clearance I want one BAD these ford Econoline vans do not cut it at 14.5 miles a gallon.

Whatever you do DO NOT GET a New style Transit Connect there is so much stuff that will not fit in there, they made it longer but height smaller :(

Chevy Express vans get the same mileage 14-15 a gallon, but with gas prices coming down it only cost me $67.00 to fill the tank instead of 100.00 bucks in last summer

D A M N YANKEE
Larry

Chevy Express vans get the same mileage 14-15 a gallon, but with gas prices coming down it only cost me $67.00 to fill the tank instead of 100.00 bucks in last summer

How long you think gas will stay low???? A good businessman tries to looks into the future. Prepares himself for it. Getting a good gas mileage van now will help secure his operating offset in the future. Hope you learned something today in business 101

D A M N YANKEE
Larry

Yankee i was talking about the city express the small version of the regular express. I just seen one for the first time a couple days ago not bad looking

XS, I would love to be able to invest 15 to 30 grand into a great gas mileage vehicle. At this point it is NOT feasible, my next van will be brand new just have to wait, till then I am rolling my full size chevy express.

As for the new Chevy City vans Haven't seen one around here yet.

D A M N YANKEE
XS, I would love to be able to invest 15 to 30 grand into a great gas mileage vehicle.

Dude... Do I have to do everything for yaa????!!!!.....

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/4757460751.html $7700.00

or drive your happy AZZ back up North to pick this one up

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/4763839652.html $5800.00

Invest in your business and it will take care of you...

Stop smokin that S H I T......

XS I shall wait for now, Thank you for the links.

Some guys on he Ford Transit (NOT Transit Connect) forum are getting up to 20 MPG with the Ecoboost, I wish I could tell you more, I ordered a loaded up Transit May 10th, Talked to A Ford Regional Manager just today and My Transit is in yet another production delay. I was told I would have my new ride in July, Then December, Now February.... What makes me mad is they cant tell me what the Delay is about.... 1st one was the My Touch radio and Remote start. One guy had 21 MPH with around 1000 pounds of payload. (Highway).

Wish they could get the size right on these smaller vans... another 6" taller and 18" longer and they would be great- test drove and measured a city express on Saturday... just might work. Depends on where the partition is placed and how much room is lost. It's close...

atech
Depends on where the partition is placed and how much room is lost. It's close...

You have to modify the partition to allow taller and longer windows to pass thru in a restricted area

Why the push for Smaller Vans? We install Auto Glass not Deliver Flowers!!! What you save in fuel cost your probably gonna fork out in wear and tear costs, If you carry 6 windshields, your tools Etc. Your gonna wear out that 2L 4 cylinder very fast, and 25 MPG sounds great until you load it up with Glass and tools, Front wheel drive sounds nice though... With all these new specialty tools coming out, I want room for them along with the 1310's and 2063's I am hulling. Did I mention Look like a Glass Shop not a Florist..Size Matters, LOL

Sir Slam A Lot
Why the push for Smaller Vans? We install Auto Glass not Deliver Flowers!!! What you save in fuel cost your probably gonna fork out in wear and tear costs, If you carry 6 windshields, your tools Etc. Your gonna wear out that 2L 4 cylinder very fast, and 25 MPG sounds great until you load it up with Glass and tools, Front wheel drive sounds nice though... With all these new specialty tools coming out, I want room for them along with the 1310's and 2063's I am hulling. Did I mention Look like a Glass Shop not a Florist..Size Matters, LOL

The new big is the best smaller will do....

We carry up to 7 windshields daily and will have it fully equipped with tools. We dont do more then that in a day anyway. No problems yet. Our vans have an average of 45k on the odometer and no excessive mechanical wear seen. Excellent in new and used car lots where space is at a premium to do work. These vans have a maximum payload of 1600 lbs. You gonna tell me that you need 1600 lbs of glass and tools that day??? I can only imagine if these things only carry flowers. That van full must haul azz....lol..

Even if my rack is fully loaded, I am still hauling a lot of air in the back. Not sure I use as many tools as I used to either. Aside from that, I couldn't carry nearly as much clutter- lol.

Thinking making my own partition would be the way to go if I get one. Along with making a custom tool rack instead of the factory bins to better use the space.

I have not seen the upfit packages for this but if they are anything like the transit, use the HVAC package, this will allow you to have a built in tool box curb side, on the DS just don't get them shelves... just a tip.

One other observation Is the height of some of these Windshields, Like a 1293, I can fit these in my E-Series by only turning them upside down with about 1/4 inch to spare.... I have ruined a part or two by hitting the top of my van while loading them up, This will be a thing of the past now, I now can haul larger laminated flat glass as well and personal items like drywall etc, Wondering if you can fit a 1293 or taller shields in a City Express?

We have *****d dw1293, dw1494, and dw1491 in with no problems in the transit connects

xs
We have *****d dw1293, dw1494, and dw1491 in with no problems in the transit connects

Why did it edit what you said XS?

Larry
xs

Why did it edit what you said XS?

I didnt know that F i t t e d was a censored word ?????

I measured the City Express- opening at the doors and inside clearance height is the same as my Econoline. Venture w/s's should fit fine. I am more worried about the length of some.

My idea for these was 86ed getting a Dodge Promaster, will post the outcome when I am working out of it, I drove one had plenty of power and set nice and high :)

Larry
set nice and high :)

Until you need to get that hightop into a low ceiling underground garage...

This is a very strange market, I can honestly say I have not had one customer in a parking deck In over a year. Which is very odd, the south is mostly big ass lots, not too many parking decks and the very few I have been in , in the past you could drive a box truck into..

Now when I was in Saint Louis, or Arizona yes I was in a parking deck 2 to 3 times a day..

This is a major metro market with very tight available parking and plenty of traffic. The smaller vehicle you can operate out of is definitely an advantage

The grass is always greener if the fertilizer is spread thick.

Currently working out of a 95 Chevy Astro van. The rack in it was likely made in the 1960's because it steals about four inches of height. If the block size is 42-44 inches in height it depends on the actual shape of the glass whether it will fit. I've got enough padding and bungee cords that I can actually haul one windshield vertically resting on the floor.

And I have it packed with all the other stuff we carry (tools, vac, etc).

I daydream about the boss buying a bigger van. I've thought about converting an old 24 ft UHaul into a rolling shop that you could drive a car into. I figured out how to build pop out sides ala an RV but got stumped at the notion of how to get a big F350 Dually into it.

Parking Garage. Never did one in one. We have two around here and we tell the customer that we will take it to the shop and bring it back. The owner is paranoid about one of us scratching a strangers parked car.

When we have to work in a underground parking garage. We pull the car out of the spot to clear both front doors from other parked cars. We use traffic cones to detour cars for our safety.

My Transit has finally been built just 247 days after I ordered it (Really Ford???), Just ordered some additional Adrian Steel drawers and cabinets to go along with what I already have, No way this fits in the flower delivery type vehicles, Also stepping up to a Rack that holds 11 Windshields instead of only 9. I have a nice sized tool box, Ad in my trash can, large Shop Vac, Step ladder, Hydrotherm heater (In the cooler) With a few boxes of Urethane and what I call my specialty tools, I could never operate my business in a cracker box, and for what, to save a little on Fuel??? Seriously. One thing I will have to adjust to is, My E-250 has barn doors on the side, I keep all my spray can type storage on one door and bin type storage on the other, The new Ride has a sliding door, so this set up will be moved to the back of the van doors, How I am setting this up actually keeps me up at night....LOL, Wish we could post Pictures on here, I would like to see pics of how installers set up their vans especially the small ones. For example, A friend of mine has his rack set up on the inside of one of the back doors, I tried it and liked it so much I kept it that way. BTW, No parking Garages around here but I did notice on Friday, I wont be going in the Dairy Queen Drive Thru with it!!!

Different area's require other specifications. Around here 70% of auto glass companies use these type of "flower delivery type" or the other "Crackerbox" vans... We transferred all are equipped from our old Astro cargo vans over without any issue's. Have to admit we had to use some creative design engineering to do it thou.

Yes, Fuel is low cost for now. But do you think it will stay at this level?

Prior to taking a job, where they have gas guzzling E150's My business had the Transit Connects, I did big rigs out and 8 - 9 jobs a day out of them daily. Was a **** good van and the gas savings was un real. Although I did rip a brake light off going into a parking garage!

For everyone that thinks gas will stay cheap

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/01/19/gas-oil-five-dollar-gallon/21865975/

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com