AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
HONDA OEM WINDSHEILDS

Just found this on Glass Bytes

Honda Requires OE Replacement Windshields for Some Models with Driver Assist, Safety Systems

November 20, 2014 by Jenna Reed
jreed@glass.com

Original Equipment (OE) replacement windshields are necessary for certain Honda and Acura models, according to the automaker. “While non-OE parts may look the same and fit in the same physical space on the vehicle, their use may present unforeseen circumstances causing the driver assist or other safety systems to operate abnormally or not at all,” according a statement by Honda.

“Driver assist systems and other safety systems on many late model Honda and Acura automobiles offer heightened safety and convenience for the vehicle driver and passengers,” officials write in the statement. “However, collision repair technicians must be aware of the issues created if other than OE parts are used to repair vehicles with these systems.”

OE windshields are needed for:

2013-2015 Honda Accord EX-L, Touring

2014-2015 Honda Accord Hybrid EX-L, Touring

2014 Honda Accord Plug-In, All

2014 Honda Civic Hybrid, All

2013-2015 Honda Crosstour EX-L

2015 Honda CR-V, Touring

2014-2015 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Touring

2014-2015 Acura MDX, Tech, Advance

2014-2015 Acura RLX, All

2014 Acura RLX Hybrid, All

2015 Acura TLX, Tech, Advance

2013 Acura ZDX, All

These models include one or more of the following systems: Adaptive Cruise Control, Collision Mitigation Braking System, Forward Collision Warning, Lane Departure Warning, Lane Keeping Assist System and Road Departure Mitigation.

“Depending on the model or trim level, these systems either use a camera that’s mounted behind the rearview mirror, or a combination of that camera and a radar unit mounted in the front bumper grill. Installing anything other than an OE replacement windshield may cause these systems to work abnormally. Most specifically, the camera will not be able to aim properly,” according to Honda’s statement.

The 2014 Acura RLX and Sport Hybrid SH-AWD also requires an OE windshield replacement due to its head’s-up display (HUD) system, according to the automaker.

“The windshield is specially designed to correctly project the HUD image and must be replaced with a HUD windshield. Installing anything other than an OE replacement windshield may result in the HUD appearing as a double image,” Honda officials explain.

Not just windshields are affected by the new technology. Honda’s 2014 RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD requires OE sidelites.

“The model listed above uses acoustic front side door glass for sound isolation on some trim levels,” according to the automaker’s statement. “The glass has a sound insulation layer of PVB sandwiched between two layers of semi-tempered glass. Acoustic side glass is thinner than conventional side glass. … Installing anything other than the OE replacement side glass may result in a diminution of the vehicle’s cabin-noise reduction qualities.”

As vehicles become more sophisticated, recalibration and the use of OE glass to ensure the safety systems continue to work as designed after replacement have become increasingly hot topics in the AGRR industry.

“Glass not only is structural, but can hinder safety equipment [and keep it] from working correctly,” said Mitch Becker, technical instructor for ABRA Auto Body & Glass, during Auto Glass Week™. “The safety of the occupants are at stake if correct procedures are not followed.

“An incorrect windshield can result in huge safety system failures,” he noted.

In addition to using OE windshields and lites when required by the automaker, AGRR company owners should ensure their technicians are recalibrating any cameras mounted on or near the glass, as well, says Bob Beranek of Auto Glass Consultants.

“Any lane departure camera mounted to the glass or a part of the vehicle that we are altering, must be recalibrated by a dealer or certified calibration servicer,” he says.

Re: HONDA OEM WINDSHEILDS

Who makes the OEM windshields for the Honda's in question and why can't we just use that brand? To my knowledge Honda does not manufacture glass

Hmm... What about the AGR shops tied into TPAs that punish them for using oem glass? Customers with those cars & the Ins. Co. Won't approve the use of OEM?

The insurance industry should be punished for their TPAs to allow Chinese garbage.

Bravo, Honda.

Sglass
Hmm... What about the AGR shops tied into TPAs that punish them for using oem glass? Customers with those cars & the Ins. Co. Won't approve the use of OEM?

TPA and Insurance companies have to replace using OEM if there is a policy, BUT...That being said, The customer 99.9% of the time will not now any policy about their vehicles so they will just go through insurance. Imagine an insurance company telling you you don't need OEM and to use aftermarket and then there is an accident related to the glass???? What a lawsuit that would be! Just my 2 cents worth....

Hey LEAKER; How many of these are you going to install??

Subaru has a similar notice about vehicles equipped with their Collision Avoidance System. If you've ever had a rain sensor issue just imagine if your accident avoidance system failed at the wrong moment.

Mickey
Hey LEAKER; How many of these are you going to install??

None, we don't install! What is your problem?

None, we don't install! What is your problem?

If you don't install, How can you be a LEAKPRO? And why did you start this thread if your never going to replace a w/s. Also you are not a member of BOGG/G.

Yes insurance companies tell people all the time they only replace aftermarket parts but if the customer requires OEM they must pay for the OEM otherwise they have a big problem in their hands. But some customers give in. For many years PPG now PGW is the company that makes the OEM glass parts for Honda and Acura. If you have one of these vehicles go ahead and check your logos.

Pilkington is the OEM manufacture of Honda Glass (as i understand it at this moment)

2016 Honda CRV is PGW and from what I have seen it is PGW.
Can anyone tell the difference between the windshield with a Honda Logo and a PGW Logo with the DOT Number 904 and a PGW Windshield with a DOT number 904 with no Honda Logo? The best I can come up with is one is purchased from the Honda dealer at A high price and the other is purchased from an aftermarket supplier. They both say PGW DOT 904.
I felt that the Dealers are using this to seller their windshields by putting some fear into the consumer.
What I would like is for Honda to give me the technical reason.
No one at the Dealership can answer this question.
When I point out the DOT 904 fact, I get a look like I use to get when I caught one of my kids with his Fingers in the cookie jar.
Below is something everyone might find interesting.

http://www.glassonline.com/site/news/topic/Automotive-glass/id/27959/AGC-Automotive-Europe-announces-windshields-as-compliant-with-ADAS-as-Original-Equipment-windshields-

http://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2017/08/01/1m-body-shop-negligence-case-highlights-absurdity-of-resistance-to-oem-procedures/

It W I L L happen who is it going to be.. Read the story Shop chooses to ignore OEM standard. Shop SUED for a Million. Insurance leaves 100 foot skid mark as they throw SHOP under BUS.
JMNLO
J.A.D.

I work for a Honda dealership as an in-house installer. We have had zero problems with Pilkington(~90-100) windshields in Hondas with LKA or LDWS. PGW has had a few issues. Every time we have had a problem, the bracket on the w/s is crooked, usually by about 1/16".

this is why I do not do auto any more

CT makes the point in this conversation.

Vehicle manufacturers do not make glass. Glass manufacturers like Pilkington make the glass.

Problem solved.

Starting to see mostly FYG in the 2017 Honda's
I have had issues with Pilington parts on LDWS windshields. 2 DOT 177 parts from Mexico would not re calibrate.... We installed a Honda Part and no problems.
The part may say Pilkington, but you need to check which plant it was manufactured at
DOT 15 is he old LOF plant in Canada, and to the best of my knowledge,a portion of the OE parts for Honda are coming from that plant.

Service autoglass seems to be only stocking the ASAHI brand for Honda's which is also OE, no isues there, I just do not buy from them unless i have no other choice.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com